Missing tool path dxf... bit should not be the problem

Hello,

Thank you in advance for your help. I have a dxf uploaded to easel, and there are tool paths missing or incomplete. I do not suspect the bit size is the issue. I am using a 1/16 bit. Any insight would be appreciated.

I cannot seem to attach the dxf file or a screenshot - getting an error message

Can you share the Easel project?

To add to what @NeilFerreri1 said, the “Share Project” button is that right arrow at the top of Easel just to the right of your project’s name; press that button. Then select the “Unlisted” checkbox on the popup window, copy the URL that is displayed, press the “Close” button, and then paste the URL in a post.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Thank you

initially it shows everything will be cut, once you press simulate some elements disappear. Thanks again for your help

Check your DXF for duplicate paths in those areas that don’t want to cut. If you manage to upload the DXF, I can show you the issue.

1 Like

It looks like your DXF file has multiple lines or at least Easel is seeing it that way for some objects. I took one of the small squiggly things at the bottom of the design, removed the inner line, and the simulation showed correctly.

This type of thing happens often when outside files are used (double lines, unconnected lines on a single object, etc.). I think either you will have to clean up the DXF file in whatever it was created in or slowly go through and clean it up in Easel by editing each shape that is not showing that it will be carved.

Ninja’d by @NeilFerreri1 …

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Upload seems broken right now.

2 Likes

Yes, upload is not working.
Here is the link where I downloaded it from.

Here is what I mean by editing each object in Easel. If you go into “Edit Point” mode, you can just select a single point, start hitting the delete button, and eventually, you will see that you are deleting points, but the original design still remains.

#WILL UPDATE WITH IMAGE WHEN UPLOAD IS AVAILABLE#

You would do this until you get back around to the starting point in this specific situation or when the design appears to actually start changing (and undo whatever makes it appear to change) because it looks like what you actually have is a vector object that starts in one location, goes along a path, jumps to another location, continues on, and eventually completes what the object looks like. Then, it continues to include a vector object that is continuous about the entire object as it should be. The problem is that these two things are connected, and I think Easel is just not able to figure out exactly what path it should be taking with it.

I can also confirm that the forum’s upload functionality is currently down. It was down earlier in the afternoon, but I figured I would give it while to see if the issue was resolved. I guess it has not been … :frowning:

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

That DXF is messy. I’d upload a screenshot of what I mean, but I can’t.
There are duplicate nodes and overlapping paths causing your issues.

Maybe this’ll help?

1 Like

Just check whether there are parts of the design that still aren’t being carved. There aren’t many, but there are some areas in the file that @NeilFerreri1 posted which will not be carved even with the 1/16" detail bit. You can see this by simulating the design, clicking on the vertical ellipsis at the bottom-right of the preview area, removing the check from Material and Toolpaths, and check the Uncut Areas checkbox (this option only shows up when there are toolpaths which the currently selected tools will not be able to carve). The toolpaths that will not be carved will show up as red and are easy to see with the material and regular toolpaths that will be carved hidden. They are in the upper-left and upper-right areas of the design.

I would upload an image of what I am talking about on the design, but …

So, here is another post where I showed how the “Uncut Areas” looks.

This design that @NeilFerreri1 posted would lend itself very well to V-Carving. If you change the detail bit to a 60-Degree V-Bit and regenerate the detail view you will see what I mean.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Improved it.

@NeilFerreri1 … nice!

Now, what you should do is move that outline to a separate workpiece with 1/8" bit for the cutout, and change the original face-milling part back to 1/8" Roughing & 60-Degree V-Bit Detail. Then, you’ll be cooking with grease and a flamethrower!

Note: I have already hijacked a copy of this design for any future privateering opportunities… :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Well…that’s the topic of a different thread, right?
https://discuss.inventables.com/search?q=%40neilferreri1%20profile%20workpiece

Also, isn’t that what I did?
:wink:

I suppose it could be …

I see what you did there, sneaky!!

I just think that since you added the outline cutout that the very next question would be along those lines because with just the 1/8" bit the design doesn’t carve all the way (which was the original problem with the DXF file), and if one is going to add an outline cutout, the proper way to do it, especially if a detail or V-Bit is involved, is to place it on a separate workpiece as shown below.

Just my opinion, but I do go overboard sometimes with providing completely finished designs while trying to help. I think that teaching everyone the easy tricks for getting the most out of Easel easily is best done sooner rather than later. :slight_smile:

Brandon Parker

1 Like