MIT Ventilator Plans - Sizing and Conversion - Covid-19

Hi Greg,

Thats a question for the MIT staff as of now were using this space with the X-Carve community and others that use EASEL for fabricating of the machine parts. Those like myself could not use DXF files provided by the MIT download. B.F and Russell Crawford were kind enough to provide file types that other had been seeking on the MIT download page allowing them the ability to manufacture the mechanical pieces.

Hi Neil,

Lets say you get sick would you rather hear we have no ventilators or we can put you on something its not perfect but its something that may keep you alive. Some places in the world dont have money to get ventilators this gives them something and its cost effective. I would take the worst ventilator in the world if I needed it to survive over no ventilator.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat and working on printing some face shields while MIT figures out a parts list. I may try to go it alone with a variation that uses a stepper motor and watching what others discovered. As of now I now I can print the mechanical parts needed and hopefully with the files provided others will be able to and what parts they found that work.

I think my point was missed. Obviously the goal is to help as many people as possible. My point was that if someone has more info on these ventilators in a ICU, and they know this community can help, it would be great to hear from them. If this is a viable option, every machine shop in the world should redirect their resources.
As you probably know, there is no shortage of grad students, hackers, and makers working to innovate solutions. I know that hospitals are working with big companies that have the capacity to mass produce things. I just want to know if anyone here has been in contact with any medical professionals. There would be no reason not to share that.
I want to help too. Everyone here should send their P100 respirators, extra filters and extra masks to someone in the medical profession. I boxed mine up and sent them to an anesthesiologist and cardiologist, my brother and sister-in-law. If they, or any other medical professional asked me to make a ventilator, I wouldn’t sleep until it was done.

Edit: I didn’t realize that there are plans for the sensors and controller as well. Are those of you here trying to make these also sourcing the controller and sensors? Those would be essential, tested, and reliable.

4 Likes

I have not looked into that but have reached out to the same group that is requesting 3d printed facemasks and offered to cut materials if they request. Its an option if they feel necessary.

1 Like

This is the right question and the one that should be asked first - who will take and use these ventilators. Its not about the patient making a choice its about a medic faced with the choice of putting a patient on a ventilator that is obviously home made, they haven’t seen before, there is no quality control and may be a death sentence for the patient. How do you make that choice as a medic? You don’t you use approved equipment for a reason.

1 Like

Someone who is not on the list to get a GM, Ford, or other ventilator that they can afford. Im thinking some 3rd world countries and places where they need something but dont have money like US and if the choice came down to nothing or a home made ventilator I would try home made. Keep in mind to effectively use these the patient is generally heavily sedated otherwise their body may not be accepting of the tube but I have seen people use snorkel face masks with modifications that supposedly work. This is decision for medical professionals and some of us hobbyists are willing to help. A little more complext than the 3d printer community but something over nothing.

@MichaelMitchell I don’t want to keep beating this, but something is not always better than nothing. The mechanical part of a ventilator is fairly simple, though designed to be reliable. But a ventilator monitors and adjusts the airflow automatically to provide the optimal amount of oxygen. Squeezing air into someone with lung damage can kill them. It’s different than CPR or those bag valve masks on ambulances.

lot of parts.pdf (283.8 KB)