Mod X-Carve with LEDs

I do it all the time. Krylon makes a flat black spray paint made especially for plastic. I use it to make aircraft control panels for a helicopter we’re restoring at a aviation museum.

1 Like

@JustinBrower That’s a nice drag chain - where did you get it?

uxcell R55 25mm x 77mm Black Plastic Open Type Cable Drag Chain Wire Carrier 1M Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZA0663/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_O8vzDGeRb7mh6

Thanks for the quick response - is 1M enough or do I need more?

For my 1000x1000 I needed two. And i took about a third off the side one and added to the gantry track.

I bought a 5M roll and had plenty in my original post. Since the 1000mm is 1 meter, I woud say you would need 2 M’s for the right and left Y axis and another meter if you want to do the X Axis.

This is awesome! I actually had the idea on my last project when I couldn’t see (I love lots of lights in a work area). Right now we’re revamping our whole workshop and redoing the electric, lighting, and work area configuration so it will have to wait but at least I now know that it can be done. Great Job!

OMG that looks sooo nice Erik! I might have to look into doing this too. Looks very classy.

Are you worried about them getting scratched?

I am sure it will get scratched…I’ll be as careful as I can, but it is only a matter of time :slight_smile:

They make scratch resistant acrylic, and it works amazingly well (similar to glass). It is typically used for tables and countertops. The one I’ve used in the past is called Acrylite. A little pricey but well worth it.

I have been working on a LED light ring made specifically for the DeWalt DWP 611 router. The printed circuit boards are completed but I’m still waiting on the diffused light covers from the manufacture to get here. They should probably be here in a week or so. The LEDs I’m using will be the same that are used for car LED headlights, so they will be very bright at the cutting surface. No extra power supply will be needed. I am also using a SuperPID so it may take a little while to integrate everything together, but once it’s done it will look completely factory, as if DeWalt made it for the router. I’ll start a separate thread about the light ring project once the project is complete. The reason I didn’t just use a microscope light ring (aside from them looking hideous) is that you will block the exhaust venting on the DWP 611, which would cause over-heating and could damage the DWP 611 over time. This is one reason why I decided to design one from scratch. It’s turning out to be a fun project :grinning:

1 Like

Love this idea! Thank you!