Modify work area shapes?

Is it possible to set up a different shape work area, other than squares and rectangles? For example, I would like to add a name to an existing cutting board…the shape is obviously NOT a square or rectangle and makes it tricky to preview where the carve will happen on the board.

Does this make sense??

You can do the following:

1. Create the shape of your stock as a Zero-depth pocket; move to desired location on work area; pin the shape.
  2. Copy #1 and change the copy to an outline “Cut Outside Shape” path; center to #1; pin the shape.
  3. Create your design; pin the design.
  4. Optional for Viewing - Create a rectangle larger than the entire specified area for the design as a pocket cut; set it to full depth; Send the rectangle to the back; align to cover all work area.

You should be left with only your designed stock and the design you want to carve.

***** WARNING *****
!. YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE OUTLINE CUT TO ZERO-DEPTH WHEN YOU GO TO ACTUALLY SIMULATE/CARVE or YOU CAN REMOVE IT COMPLETELY.
2. YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE LARGE FULL-DEPTH POCKET TO ZERO-DEPTH WHEN YOU GO TO ACTUALLY SIMULATE/CARVE or YOU CAN REMOVE IT COMPLETELY.

I normally do this to most of my projects on Workpiece #1 to have a nice “VIEW” of the design. Subsequent Workpieces split things up according to bits used for specific items or things along those lines.

Here is a simple project showing what I am talking about.

The “Overall View” workpiece will provide a nice preview; the only thing is that you will still see the “edge” of the material where it is bounded by the X & Y-Axis and the Material Dimensions provided in the model when viewed from anything other than perfectly top-down. Not a huge issue, but I think being able to bound a design to within an outline cut and have the preview remove anything outside of it for viewing is something Easel should be able to do. It’s the small programming changes that make people very happy…

Here is what I was just describing …

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

No, Easel do not allow other than a squared work space.

However, your scenario is best dealt with by using a design centered at XY0 in Easel and set your work zero accordingly on your piece.

Clever process, Brandon.

@BrandonR_Parker Thank you sooo much for the detailed explanation. I truly appreciate it.

@HaldorLonningdal, I will try this as well. Thank you.