Motion Control software to drive X-Carve?

Every one on this thread a group of users will be on a Google hang out in about 3 minutes. Here

@TonyNo, maybe you’re thinking about earlier versions of grbl, I think it’s had arc support for the last couple of releases:

(I only know this b/c I messed up one of my grbl settings and it started cutting arcs as straight lines)

1 Like

Interesting. What I read must have been old.

I don’t know what is that means, but My machine with Grbl 0.9i draws Arc very smooth. Here is the line for Arc tolerance.

$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.050 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)

I read somewhere that arcs were not supported. That must have been for an older version.

1 Like

Hi @JohnChamplain @picengravertoo

EDIT4: tried on a newer laptop, installed Easel, and all drivers and your software from scratch, same error. Again, UGCS and Easel work fine.
EDIT3: tried Universal Gcode sender 2.0 and it jogged fine as well.
EDIT: VIDEO LINK ADDED See video
→ it might be hard to see on the video but once i press the X+ button, it moves the carriage LEFT instead of right.

Just wanted to find out if your new version is available yet. Today when i started your software, using the same settings (setting Fx=100) the jogging is extremely slow AND worst of all, if i click X+ the mill moves LEFT (so X-) now.
EDIT: It also doesnt move at all sometimes, like i had it set to FX 100 ad 0.5. This time it moved the correct diretion, but only on X-. So i clicked X+ and it moved to the right (which is correct). Then i hit X- and it went left (correct too). I then clicked X+ again and it didnt move. Clicking X- moved it. Then X+moved it correctly again but only once.

Not sure whats going on, but i also tried Easel again after this and jogged it around for minutes on X and Y in different increments and all went well. Back to your software, and the issue came back…

I tried the same with Easel a few more times, and it moves fast and in the correct direction ALWAYS. Rebooted PC a few times too, and switched USB ports to a different port, same result. The software also crashed once with a .net error.

Any advise?

Hi Oliver,

Evidently your grbl settings have changed somehow. I noticed in your video, your startup blocks are not loading which is why it jogs so slow as if grbl is set for Metric. The $N0=G20 startup block sets grbl to Inch units when using PicSender. The $N1=FXX sets the default jog feedrate. The 100 with the Fx button should be 100 Inches a minute, but it looks like it’s moving 100mm/min instead.

Your $3= grbl setting needs to be change so the axis’s jog in the proper direction with PicSender. It was working right before, so something changed at your end with your grbl settings.

Here is info how to configure grbl. Configuring Grbl v0.9 ¡ grbl/grbl Wiki ¡ GitHub

When you get everything set and working properly again, use the yellow GRBL button to backup your grbl settings so they can be recalled later. However, this will not save the startup blocks, so those will have to be set by you every time your UNO looses those settings.

John is still working on the update and when he finishes, we will be testing it before any release and I will contact you when it’s available for download. These changes are only improvements, not bug fixes, so you can continue to use PicSender as it is, once you change your grbl settings.

Thanks.
Jeff

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I will try that however i have my doubts that the cause are wrong GRBL settings:

1. the axis moves only SOMETIMES in the wrong direction, not always. So i am not sure if the $3= GRBL setting is the cause for that, it also works for all other software fine (UGCS, Easel, ChiliPepr)
  2. i ran a 3h job yesterday in UGCS and it worked fine without any issues --> wouldn’t that have the same issues if its using the settings from within the UNO?
  3. the default jog rate is different every time i push any of the jog directions. For example pressing x+ moves it half an inch, but then x- only a quarter inch or less. same with X- or the Y axis.