Moving g-code tool path on Easel workspace

Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to move a g-code tool path around on the workspace as when I load it into Easel, the tool path is about 75% off the front left of the boundary.

Do I zero the spindle somewhere inside the workspace boundary and then zero XYZ on the stock? Or do I have to edit the G-Code tool path so the stock is positioned away from the XYZ zero inside the CAD/CAM (Fusion 360).

Can easel move the placement of the G-Code tool path around inside its workspace?

Thanks

The simplest way to x,y zero this is to go back to the program where the gcode was saved and assign the datum where you want it to be.

But bit looks like the datum (0,0 positron) was assigned to the center if the workpiece.
You can simply pencil mark diagonal x from corner to corner on your workpiece to find center and use that if you like. :man_shrugging: I do this all the time in purpose even using easel

Hi,
Thanks for the reply-
Is this addressing just the start point of the tool path? I’m not really concerned about that, what I’m trying to figure out is if the XCarve can machine this with the toolpath hanging off the edge of the projected workspace.
How it is pictured makes me think it will be out of the work envelope of the machine.

Well that would depend on the location of where you clamp the workpiece down, the size of tat carve, and if you set the 0,0 correctly…
Here’s how I’d do it:

Hi Seth, that did work well, setting the XY per the tool path simulation in Easel. Do you know of any way to use an edge finder (the DIY one of a 1/4 shaft with a press fit high speed 1 inch ball bearing looks like it would be great for a spindle that runs 10,000+ rpm) with Easel? Is there any way to see XYZ coordinates on the screen in Easel?
It’s kind of disconcerting that XY zero is simply just where you put the spindle before pushing “carve.” Is there a way to lock it into a precise datum or have a locked in reference (like how you use a DRO on a mill/lathe)? Or re-zero a precise datum if you are doing more than one setup on the part being machined (like if you want to mill the back side of the part)?

Easel does not incorporate an xyz probe… an edge finder is not really an idea solution as they require low rpm, too slow for a router…

Your timing couldn’t be better though, I just made this video this morning about the gcode sender that I use…

You can go to project>export gcode and then send via a program that does support xyz probe AND displays DRO all the time… AND use G28 and G30 jig positions (your repeating datum for flipping parts or using a set jig location)…and OpenBuilds Control is free and my favorite…

Awesome! Look forward to check it out-

About the edge finder, yeah that totally makes sense as they are good for about 800 rpm, there is a way of making one for routers/spindles though if you take a 1/4 shaft (precision ground shaft would probably be best with some retaining compound like Loctite 684 or 680 black max), press fit a ball bearing (high speed/ceramic) on the end since they can handle the rpms, then jog the bearing onto the side of the work piece and observe when the bearing stops moving, then subtract half of the width of the bearing and you’ll be on zero at 0.001" (or less) since bearings tolerance are so tight.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.