Moving spindle in Easel

Sorry if this is already in here. I searched and did not find anything.
I just finished assembling my X-Carve and ran the first test cut. It looks really good!
After the test cut, it moves back to the home position. Is there a way in Easel to move the spindle out of the way to remove the workpiece? I was looking for bump or something and am failing to find it.

Thanks!

Just go back to the carve menu, move the spindle and cancel the the carve

Gotcha! Thank you! I tend to try and make things harder than it should be. It would be nice to have those controls in the “machine” menu at the top of easel.
THanks again!

Be extremely careful. If you change the step size to larger steps for X and Y axis (let’s say 5 inches), don’t click the Z axis up or down until changing the Z axis back to a small value (like the default of 0.1 inches). If you don’t have limits enabled, you’ll cause a whole lot of issues (I broke a bit and damaged my SuckIt dust boot doing that).

1 Like

Yes. This actually got me when I moved the Y axis back and my bit hit a hold down. Did not break anything so got lucky. I need to learn to move the Z up before Y axis back…

1 Like

Thanks Phil! Just got this thing running this morning and enjoying some really simple projects right now. I just built it standard, for now. Could not get the homing switches to work but I am guessing it was because I have not soldered anything in 30 years. It was bad…
I need to invest in a dust boot and then start looking at some mods as soon as I figure out what I really need. I need to learn more about the programming, My day job is a network engineer so I am used to switches, routers, and the like.

1 Like

I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. I am going to run it stock for now. Hopefully I won’t need any mods.
I’ll probably try Phil’s suggestion at some point but I think mine is probably the soldering. I won’t even embarrass myself with a picture of it. I should have practiced on an old computer board first. I think I may have ruined the board at the pin portion with too much heat…Oh well, live and learn. I’ll probably just wait until the new controller is shipping and purchase the upgrade. The new controller won’t have any soldering, correct?

Thanks Phil!

1 Like

The homing switches are nice to have if you want to have a place of reference.
Otherwise its guess or you have to use a registration bit and point.
I am going to see if I can get some larger switches so I can put crimp ends on. If it works out then I will post my findings and instructions on what I did.

1 Like

for future versions of easel, having option to manually move spindle (under menu “machine”) would be very useful

1 Like