My adventures in aluminum milling

I used an additional offset on my part geometry. Again, if you share your Fusion file, I can show you what I’d do.

Sure. I’m at the office now, but I’ll attach it later this evening.

1 Like

Not sure if you knew you can access your F360 files through the web.
https://a360.autodesk.com/

I finally had some more time to experiment. I got my mister system installed and plumbed and decided to test it on some substantial material removal. This was done with a .05" DOC, 55IPM, Kodiak 1/4" Endmill. The bit was pushing a burr most of the cut, so I think it’s getting a little dull. I do have some nicer router bits, but I didn’t chuck one up for this job. I think I can definitely go to a deeper DOC, possible 0.10" in the future, but I’m slowly getting it dialed in. The bracket came out okay, but I do need to use an arc-enabled post processor since the profiles are faceted. But, overall I was happy with how it came out. I need to add a little more offset to my chamfer path as it did leave a lip in a few spots. This is a mount for my Makita so I can reduce the spindle weight further.

3 Likes

@Pyrex I might have missed it, but what are you using for workholding with aluminum?

it may not be obvious from the pictures. I’m using either superglue and tape like above, or a small vise.

2 Likes

I would be interested in how your project went. I am considering a machine for the same purpose.

What kind of carve time for something like this? I’m putting together a machine I designed and it needs some aluminum pieces, sheet metal siding for the chassis, etc. It’d be the first time I’m doing aluminum - my X-carve is stock though, is that a big no?

i have cut a lot of aluminum with my stock machine. even milling rifle receivers from 7075… but you will have to go slow, and “let the tool do the work”

This is way cool. I just wish I had more experience with Alum. to do good work like that.
I have the set up minus the mister you have. Just need to learn how to do tool paths for my system using fusion. Something I have not tried yet. :smiley:

I suggest you limit your F360 focus to 2D Adaptive which is very capable of generating efficient tool paths.
It basically spiral down to a specified depth (assigned in 2D adaptive - Multiple Depth) then start slicing outwards keeping the tool load constant.

Ok. I am new so It will be a while.
I also have a 4th axis. I will be working on ways to figure out how to get it to zero better then I can use it to make metal items as well. :slight_smile:
Thanks