My biggest and most ambitious X-Carve project ever! (Completed)

Thank you @BlueLocktite!

Here is a shot of the desk sides being cut:

And one of the desk assembled, held together only by friction of the parts and gravity!

As you can see the room where the x-carve is is a multi-purpose room. My wife and I both work in there but it’s the only place I can do my woodworking.

I can’t have big machines in there or anything that requires a lot of clean up afterwards. The x-carve has been a way for me to do woodworking in a small space.

8 Likes

Last of the cuts!

All the pieces on my workbench:

And this is the start of a lot of sanding:

8 Likes

Have a look at the first couple of images. The top of the desk IS between the sides, each side has two legs and a support for the top.

The top is slightly recessed into the sides so that the weight won’t be borne by the fastenings, the top rests on the sides but the highest part of the top (the top of the top!) is actually below the highest point of the sides to stop things from rolling off the desk.

You can click to zoom in on that second picture to see some more detail.

Darnit, I just re-read your message and it says ‘bed’ before legs. Darnit. Yes, the desk can fit between the legs but it won’t for the first room it’s going to go into. It will be next to it as in the first image at the top.

The second suite will go into a slightly smaller room so I’m not sure exactly how we are going to lay it out.

I have a 19, 16 and 4. when I say the 4 year old I usually get a look… I have to respond with “that is what a second wife get you.” ha ha

Here’s what the assembled desk looks like, not varnished yet.

Gluing the loft bed sides together:

One of the fully assembled sides:

Here it is from another angle.

Both sides together with the slat supports also glued in and screwed:

7 Likes

hi Emilianomolina ! nice work ! I’m also currently working on flat pack furniture with the xcarve. I was wondering about your xcarve specs and the cutting speed, depth of cut per pass and plunge rate. What is the spindle ? Is it a VMC?
Thanks for sharing the specs ! Cheers, kev.

Hi Kevin, it’s a 600mm/m feed rate at a 3mm depth.

There is a .4 mm finishing pass at each depth too.

It’s not fast!

The spindle is just a chinese quiet-cut-type spindle. It’s a 48V one though, not like the old inventables spindle.

Finishing in a water based satin lacquer.

Three coats with two hour drying time in between, did the top of things then the bottoms the next day.

The top of the desk received five coats.

Two days with furniture bits in our kitchen/dining area. The other side of the loft bed is still in the study because I couldn’t fit everything in the one room.

On the last day I could fit everything on the table because I only had to do the bits that had been touching the ground the day before.

5 Likes

Absolutely amazing! Good way to make full use of the machine. I would have never thought something that big could be cut in our little DIY systems. Good job

1 Like

Thank you Devin!

nice! looks brilliant.

How is the desk design for side to side movement?

I made this desk with my X carve and it was brilliant front to back but side to side it wasn’t great. I ended up adding diagonal bracing to stiffen things up.

Oh! nice desk!

Mine’s not great for side to side movement either.

It may end up being held onto the loft bed. Or maybe a set of drawers stuck between the top and one side as a form of cross bracing.

And now for the conclusion …

Test set up and assembly in the study:

Panorama of the assembled pieces in the bedroom, the dog is not that athletic, I had to put him up there.

DRAMATIC SHOTS!

The view from under the loft bed, it’s a nice spot for reading:

The final step is re-introducing the mess that was removed earlier.

Thanks everyone for following this thread.

18 Likes

Looks amazing! Nice work! Very inspiring!

How’s the little one liking it?

He loves it!

Before trying it he didn’t want his old bed sold for a while, now he’s happy for it to go. So that’s a success! He reads on the little sofa a fair bit too so it’s good to have that space there for him.

1 Like

In the end, that’s all that matters right?

That’s awesome! Nice work!

That really turned out fantastic.

Hard to tell/cant remember… did you round over the edges of the steps?

Thanks everyone!

I haven’t rounded out the edges of the steps, and they are … not pleasant!

I will soon make some little pads to sit on top of the steps.

hello,

sorry im new to all of this is just purchased the 1000mm x carve. but how do out make such a large piece in the machine? is there a setting adjustment or do you just measure and hope for the best?.

He talks about it in this thread how he tiles from one part to the next.