My Cheap X-Controller Vision

The bearing they use are so cheap, but usually hold up. these are supposed to be the best, but are pricey for what they are.

1 Like

Let me know how it works, in case mine crap out.

1 Like

Turn your box :smile:

1 Like

I think you can get fans with a thrust bearing, but they are not cheap.

1 Like

Question for anyone (@LarryM @PhilJohnson) with better electric knowledge than me. I forgot to cut a hole for a pc cord outlet for the relay that controls my router and shopvac, can I just tap into the 110 leads coming into the ps or is it to much on the one cord? Otherwise i’ll start cutting

I looked today and I couldn’t find one.

I’ve seen tons of fans mounted horizontally over the years so there must be some that can take the axial load without crapping out.

Depending on your devices that’s a lot of load for one cord. If you have the DeWalt I think it draws about 7 amps (more with in-rush) and most shop vacs I’ve seen draw about 4 to 6.5 amps (also additional during in-rush). Most home outlets are on a 15 amp breaker of which you should only plan for 80 percent usage would give you about 12 amps to play with.

Yeah I figured I’d need a second, just though i’d get a second opinion. Thanks

1 Like

Electronics are placed, time to get wired!

3 Likes

Well she’s not the neatest wiring job I’ve ever done, but she’s all wired up and hasn’t exploded :grinning:. Just remembered this means I need a new fourth wire from the second y stepper :grinning::gun: (so tired of wiring today). Actually really curious to add up all the little things like wire and spades etc and see what the total build cost.

2 Likes

I’m always scared to see that much hi-powered electronics packed into a wooden box.

There’s just as much going into that little tiny DeWalt router that we all use that hasn’t blown up yet so I think we’re good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

She’s all up and running perfectly now, just need to finish the outside cosmetically and I think the left panel I’m going to put in the laser and do a really cool graphic on it, just can’t decide what graphic to put on it, any suggestions?

4 Likes

Lmao :joy:

1 Like

Well… she’s white and we already have a demon. What about Angela?

2 Likes

So here is the damage spent, I already had a lot of the items needed, which saved a bunch. At the end of the day she’s not as small and shiny as the X-controller, but she also includes the relay and dual outlets and I like making things over buying them when i can.

So after 8 months, I’ve blown the z-axis tb6600 driver. Not sure what blew exactly it just went and would not work at all. Good thing Amazon has overnight delivery, I was backup and running this afternoon. I must admit it’s nice not to have to replace a whole board, one $15 part and back in business. I had read the tb6600 were not a very reliable product, but then again it was only one out of the four. Anyone else blow any of them?

The answer is not clear as the controllers being sold on the cheap (I have four of them) as TB6600 are not necessarily based on that chip at all. The four that I have have an updated chip that is pin compatible with the TB6600 but has solved several of the TB6600 problems.

I don’t remember what the new chip is. I took mine apart several years ago and they are back in production now so I can’t say what the new chips are.