My DIY-carve

I’m not sure what the MRR is of the Makita RT0701C. I need to figure that out.

MRR is a machine specific ratio, not spindle/router power.
Once you exceed the MRR capacity the machine simply deviate/flex too much from intended path.

Ah, okay, I thought I remember reading MRR about the horsepower of the spindle or something of that nature.

So, depending on the Minimum SFM, using a .002 chip rate, I should be able to run around 50IPM between 12-18k RPM. I think I’ll start at 18k and dial back the speed and see what it does. Assuming it doesn’t chatter or try to explode the net result should be a decrease in heat, I think.

If machine is super tight and rigid the MRR may be limited by spindle power. Whatever craps out first :wink:
For our machines 800W is a lot and not a limiting factor at all :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the effort and time to explain that. I appreciate it.

Yeah, for a pocket cut where WoC usually is 40% of bit diameter start with 0.002" and 55IPM or so (at 18k RPM)
Go shallow first (like 0.02") to get the feel of it then increase.

Another thing, keep plunge rate low like 4-6IPM if you plunge straight in.
If you go in helically use 30-40IPM.

I was just going to do a shallow ramp in for all my plunges. I’ll set a feed rate of 55IPM, and then a ramp plunge of 35IPM in Vcarve. I need to remember how to generate toolpaths in Fusion 360 again. I have done some adaptive clearing toolpaths in Fusion before, but it’s been a while.

Let me know how it works out :slight_smile:

Alright, ran a test of .02", .03", .04" DOC. I moved it to a new thread so I don’t take you off-topic.

1 Like

The begining of a new CNC-iteration?

At my workplace the tennant next door was moving and had a scrap large format inkjet printer left outside, I eyed the possibility to get some rails as I know these use 1, and its genuine Hiwin 15mm rail.
(asked permission of course)

Once the about 225cm long rail (about 90") was exposed/removed, I was surprised to find a total of 4 mounting blocks on it :smiley: Score :smiley:
My current CNC is small (350x420mm tops) and I’d like more length (X) to have the possibility to carve RC aircraft molds/plugs etc.

This might be a good jump start for such an iteration :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Envious of that find!

Who knew? What kind of printer was that? I occasionally see retired printers at work but I assume most have plain rods inside.

This was taken from a large Mimaki 300series for 160cm wide print media IIRC. I knew Mimaki use Hiwin before, hence my interest checking it out when I spotted it. Mimaki is made in Japan.

I think their smaller models use 12mm rails, so do the Roland cutting plotters we have at work.

1 Like