My first big carve

Hey guys, So today I did my first big carve. This was done in Autodesk Fusion 360, exported the GCode and then ran it into the XCarve using Universal GCode Sender.

First, let me be the first to say that I did free-style the build when it came to hooking up the belts and they are nice and tight, not slipping, and I’m glad I did them the way I did, other than that, I didn’t have to do much to it. Now. I got a 1/4 inch adapter so I could run 1/8" bits… and I did this with a long rotozip bit. It bent… A lot. I was waiting for it to snap. This was what I will call a ‘bad’ idea and hope that many of you don’t try this. It slowed down my process, but Fusion 360 adjusted my cutting speed to compensate for my inexperience. When I moved to the 1/16th bit w/ 1/4" shank, it ran very fast. It pays.

Also, I learned that my actual cutting surface is only about 32"x32". I should have realized this before I bought it, but I’m good… A little bummed out about not being able to cut 3 foot signs, but we can always buy longer rails, right :smiley:

Anyways, I wanted to make a comment about precision. If you look at the video i’m posting with this, you’ll see where i carved out a giant rectangle. The line precision and spacing is perfect. I didn’t spend a lot of time calibrating my xCarve. I may need to tighten it up and stuff after a 2 hour cut, but it looks really nice.

I do have 1 issue tho, and that’s with UGS. When I hit ‘return to zero’ the Z Axis went up and stuck at top, not releasing. Technically, it should have retreated to it’s Starting XY point, and then left the Z Alone. I’ll have to figure out a better way to find zero since the homing switches are junk.

Anyways, here’s the video… so far, I’m still loving the XCarve. Thanks guys!
X-Carve First Big Carve

4 Likes