My first custom sign sale on etsy store

lol its always been like that though 1 man could always throw a stone at another

The folks that buy your product are looking for an attractive sign to advertise or announce their business. They realize that time and effort went into the design and production of the sign. The fact that the automated portion (CNC) took less time than the design is not known to them. They got a great product at a reasonable price and should be very happy with it. The rest of the “hand-made” discussion is not worth the time.

well said Don. Thanks

That looks great, and although I wish you the best with Etsy, my Etsy experience has been nothing short of horrifying. A quick Google search will show just how many people have had similar experience to mine. I had dozens of handmade/CNC made items for sale on there and spent hundreds of dollars advertising them, then out of the blue they just shut down both my shops without notice! I was back and forth for literally weeks as I attempted to prove to them that my items were in fact handmade by me in my garage on my CNC machine! Not bragging, but they were so good they wanted proof that I wasn’t buying from manufacturers and reselling, because that’s a no-no. They also saw my website I guess. After providing solid proof, they continued to ask for more proof, until I got fed up and told them to shove it and to go ahead and shut down my entire account because I never want to hear “Etsy” ever again. When I politely voiced my concern in their forum they closed off the topic to shut me up. What a bunch of bullies! Their terms state that they have the right to close any shop for any reason without notice. Stay away! But yeah, nice job on the sign :grin:
Sorry, just venting. I hate them, I HATE ETSY.

wow that’s crazy!! sorry to hear you were treated that way.
My stuff is not that good so I guess I don’t have to worry for the time being, until I get better.:grinning:
I am going to do some research though.
I appreciate the heads up Malek.

whats your web site?

I didn’t want to make this about me so I didn’t post it, but since you asked, it’s www.thewoodpeckers.ca

@Malek

I am just trying to figure out why etsy had a problem with you this looks like pretty standard stuff to me

what problem did etsy first contact you about?

fyi lots and lots of people buy from manufactures and re sale on etsy lol I know lots of people that do it everyday even very large etsy shops

You can buy from manufacturers, but they told me that I have to be significantly involved in the manufacturing process. In my case I was the ONLY one involved. They are picky about the “handmade” category. Maybe the sellers you’re referring to are posting under other categories? But I did hear that there were a lot of sellers who were operating against Etsy’s policy yet Etsy either isn’t doing anything about it or they just haven’t gotten to them yet. They have this “shoot first, ask questions later” policy, and when you try to get answers from them, they copy and paste generic responses that have nothing to do with the question, and they keep beating around the bush without giving you a straight answer.
But to answer your question about what problem they contacted me about, well their initial email was very general, but after going back and forth (and NOT getting a straight answer), based on her requests, it became clear that she wasn’t convinced that these items were handmade.

what bit was used here?
how was the border line made?

[quote=“AndyClancy, post:7, topic:31342, full:true”]
Wood is clear cedar and I used a 60 deg V bit.
Software was vcarve desktop and UGS.
Before carving I used 1 part water based poly and 1 part water for the whitewash then a bit of sanding for distressed look.

Thanks
[/quote]:smile:

Really sucks about Etsy. :confused:
Too bad you cannot file a suit.
Usually it makes entities like that leave you alone as they always offer a settle.
Sound like they put a dent in your business which there are laws against. Check out the FTC’s website.
You may be able to remedy it if its not too late.
Then you can redirect your existing customers to a new place and close the etsy shop over time.

Just say custom made.
Great signs btw.

“Made to order custom wooden CNC signs” is in the description of all my listings.
“hand made” is added by Etsy not by me.
Regardless, my “hands” were used in the making of this this product. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thank you for the positive feedback.

Based on what your saying I would say you have a solid argument.
I am not sure if you have it there but here in California there is a state bar.
30 min consult with a layer is free. Usually companies respond better when they get a letter from legal.
Depending on the details with etsy (I would have to read it) you an always seek a resolve using a nicely worded legal looking letter. You do not have to sue unless you had losses as a result of the decision to close your online shops and can prove the losses. But issuing a letter that has the look of importance will usually get attention. I had to do something similar to a rental company as they were making up excuses not to pay me what they owed in the deposit. Sucks to have to do this and takes time. I hope you can get a resolve.

On a brighter note I think your signs are great. Keep it up. :slight_smile:

Very nice work. I started an Etsy shop about 7 months ago when I bought my X-Carve. I basically use mine with small bits to form an outline I can then paint or stain in. I need to get my table a lot more “zeroed” in to get good results with a V-bit.