My modded X-Carve and workspace

I’m a hobbyist woodworker and I wanted to show what I’ve done with my machine and workspace. I know I need to make some adjustments to the cabinet and it still needs finishing. I’ll get to it someday.

I purpose built this cabinet for the machine, the size was based of the dimensions of the table. It is completely self contained holding everything to do with the machine.

6 Likes

Looks like a good setup.
I wish I’d taken a bit more time planning the base for my X-Carve. While it’s nice and solid, made with 4x2s, apart from one lower shelf, no drawers or cupboards.

Mine too.
Never seem to have time to get back to it, though.

My biggest problem is lifting the X-Carve and the attached torsion box, off the stand so I can work on it.

Looks a lot like the mod and cabinet I’m currently building myself. How much height in the y plates did you gain? Did you need to buy a new z axis extrusion to handle the increase in height?

I replaced the stock Z axis with one from open builds, then I had some left over aluminum plate from stiffening up the base so made new y axis end plates. I can fit a 4 1/2" piece under the gantry now.

I’m a big fan of torsion box tops. Both tops seen in the pictures are torsion tops.

I added a 3" fan to the side of my cabinet today to feed more air to my power supply and controller which sit in the top drawer.

1 Like

Do you have links to the parts to convert the stock Z axis to the Open Builds version you have incorporated?

Here is the link to the rail- C-Beam® Linear Actuator Bundle - OpenBuilds Part Store

I didn’t order the motor just the 250mm rail.