My new waste board and other upgrades

An hour after the first project.

Not skimming it… I have my secrets… Hehe. Actually, I’ll be indicating it in with my test indicator. Mic6 plate it very flat already. That’s why it’s used in machining fixtures. There should be enough play in the machine to adjust everything to get it parallel to the aluminum.

1 Like

I bet the x-carve could handle a small fly clutter to do that, but since it’s Mic-6 I think your time is better spent adjusting brackets.

1 Like

Yup

Made a little drill attachment to speed up the process a bit. And if anyone asks “why not just put the tap in the drill?” This offers more flexibility and a less likelihood of snapping the tap off, while utilizing the accuracy of the tapping jig to keep it straight and square.

1 Like

3 Likes

Well played sir.

1 Like

Done for the night… 465 done so far. Only 496 to go… Uggg

1 Like

Alright, you’ve got me sold.
Does anyone know where i can find the part print for the 750mm board?
I cant seem to locate it.
i want to use that as a starting point.

750mm Wasteboard Drawing

Thank you

1 Like

May the force be with you! Hahaha

And that, my gentleman, is how it’s done! With a good quality tap, a tapping guide, and determination, you too can tap 961 holes in aluminum with 1 tap!

4 Likes

seeing as you have all those nice clean regularly spaced holes in smooth flat surface now you can add grooves and a thin underlayer to add vacuum table support to it >= D

I agree with Angus. But don’t worry, you can send this one to me and I’ll get rid of it, free of charge!

(honestly, really nice work, I’m impressed)

2 Likes

Yea, never heard that before! Haha
Thanks! Now on to installation and alignment… Along with my new Z Axis and stepper motor!

1 Like

I hope it goes well. I could see adjusting brackets to get the Z trued up being a major PITA.

Not really. I can just shim it if necessary. I had to do that with the initial assembly. I shimmed behind the z maker slide at the bottom to raise up the router to get it squared with the waste board. It was off quite a bit. I think the new cnc4newbie slide will be a little better though.

so now that you have an aluminum base plate, do you intend to cut an MDF wasteboard to go on top?

Nope. If I do any through cutting, I have some 1/8" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 mdf shims I’ll use to raise the material off the aluminum.

1 Like