I am currently planning a major upgrade for my xcarve. My overall goal is a more rigid machine.
My xcarve is mostly a hobby I wanted to pick up the challenge and plan things for myself. That said, I am no machinist / toolmaker, so I decided to build the z axis first, to have a proof of concept, that my underlying design overall would work. I am well aware of the aftermarket z-axes available, which to be honest will be better designed, but that wasn’t my main concern. Challenge and poc it is.
Most parts I used are openbuilds, except for the aluminium plates. In the end I will keep from my xcarve the wiring, the controller, the anti-dust system.
One remark: I am not a native speaker, so I hope I got the english technical terms right.
Intro done, now to the fun part, pictures!
Planning was done in Fusion360, for the whole new cnc machine, here a picture of the planned z axis:
At first I needed to cut the c-beam to length and tap the holes:
After that I mounted the first linear bearing and made true it’s parallel to the c-beam (on both, top and side):
Then I mounted the second linear bearing and made sure it’s parallel to the other one. I had a difference of max 0.02mm, I guess that’s alright, at least I hope so :
Finally my 10mm thick alumium plates arrived, which I had cut from a german online shop, based on my cad file:
Then I installed the flanged bearings in the end parts and mounted the first one:
After that the carriages were installed and the second end plate:
Then the front plate was installed (on the inside having a anti backlash nut block):
After that I installed the leadscrew and fixed it using lock collars:
As you can see holes for 2 spindle mounts are already in place. I don’t have a picture of that right now, but will edit my post later.
Here’s the picture with spindle mounts installed:
Improvement suggestions are highly welcome, especially if I can implement them in the current design without redoing everything.
My first impression is good. It seems pretty rigid, it moves when the lead screw is turned, everything seems alright. Unfortunately I don’t think the xcarve can handle the weight right now, so I don’t have installed it yet.