Need better dust collection, Dr's orders

I have an extra dust deputy (clear model, no mounting hardware, designed for shop-vac sized suction), that I mounted to a 30 gal plastic barrel and have used a whopping 3 times with my Jet DC, then I bought the super dust deputy.

I’d be willing to part with the cyclone (no barrel included :smile:) for $25 plus shipping if someone was interested… I’m in the Chicago area.

I also hope to machine carbon fiber, using a dust extractor and an enclosure. However I am in an enclosed space, and I still worry about the carbon particles that could go airborne as they are as dangerous as asbestos. I’m also not sure if the Festool can handle fine carbon dust as it is not supposed to vacuum asbestos dust

Sorry, I know this is an old post, but have you seen this?

Basically reducing the airborne carbon fibre dust to zero.

1 Like

I agree, that method would be only use when cutting carbon fibre or similar. Sorry I meant to @mention @JoeFicarri, probably would have made my comment more clear!

Hi Darryl, I’m doing some research into Festool dust extraction and read your post about a marathon session on drywall sanding using a Festool sander and CT26. Can I ask - Was that the CTL26 or CTM26? Were you using the self clean bags? Did you have a Hepa filter installed or the standard one? Did you notice any dust on the filter when changing bags? Did the machine cut out at any point through overheating? Were the bags pretty much full when changing them out? Did the suction power drop out at any point? Did the working area feel clear to you during and after working? Were you using a dust mask while working?
Apologies for all these questions, but this would really help me and a number of others to work out what the Festool extractors are capable of.
Cheers
Simon

So glad you are looking for a dust collector unit!
Some woodworkers harm their health so much from long term effects of dust inhalation that they have to give up what they love to do. :frowning: There are a couple of places you can start looking. I’ve seen a lot of people recommend shop vacs. They are inexpensive and less work. Some woodworkers go with bag filters and eventually upgrade to a cartridge filter.

Oneida, Clearvue, Grizzly, are some of the more popular ones. For extra efficiency, there are industrial collectors like DamnFilters (www.damnfilters.com), or Environmental Filter (www.efisales.com).

Whatever you decide, its good to know that you are talking dust inhalation seriously.
Best of Luck!

~Kaitlyn