Need help importing my PDF to SVG PCB pic for carving

Definite Progress, now I wonder how to outline the traces and copper instead of taking the whole surface. When I use “Fill” I get the above. It is the black background that is being Filled and the copper and through holes that are being left untouched.

When I use any of the 3 “Outline” options I get no effect at all (see pic below)
Outline Background will not work

When I no longer drill the background at all and I select the copper, then set method to “Outline” and submethod to “Outside” I get (See Below), choosing “on path” or “inside” simply makes the lines tighter.

Outline Copper Outside Path

Do I need to do something to the SVG so the paths/shapes are more ‘solid’?

Looks like each of your trace elements (i.e. each straight section, in between corners) are being incorporated as separate objects, so you’re getting an outline for each of those pieces. If you combine all of those elements into a single object in Inkscape, then bring it into Easel, you should get the outline you’re looking for.

I have tried this (been reading a LOT of inkscape and using tutorials). It does not seem to have any effect at all. I think it would only apply in this case to cuts made using the traces and solder pads. I have been NOT cutting those things, i have been using a cut depth of 0, and instead having a rectangle the size of the board and it is -that- which I cut to a very shallow depth, this is how I get the traces to show up properly.

when I select the actual traces I get the same result, when I group them into a single object, same result. When I adjust the stroke color from nothing to an actual color, the traces all get filled in completely. This is the same if I group the objects or not.

In Inkscape, select all your trace/pad elements, then go to Path → Union. Then save your *.svg and re-import into Easel, and try the outline cut again.

Got it, thanks!
had to learn a few more inkscape tricks to do this and remove my through holes and such like minor details (the previous tutorials kind of helped me out there) and…

Starting to really learn these aspects of this program (and some basics from the tutorials). You guys are SO friggin helpful.

@JospehPizzolatto I’m all for the learning happening, but this seems like a tedious workflow. Are you sure Express PCB won’t give you any other export options. What version are you using?

Latest version of express PCB and the Plus version as well. It is only set to Print, but you can print for various methods such as for etch resist exposure (photo resist) or for toner transfer resist, etc etc. only to printer though.

Great! Glad you got what you’re after.