Need help re-flashing my x-controller

Hello! I recently fixed my old main controller board which had a burnt TB6600 driver. But now whenever I try to connect it to my computer I get this message: ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - you need a controller with Grbl 1.1x on it, or there is a problem with your controller. Closing port COM10. Can someone help me please?

Try running the Arduino IDE and see if the COM port pops up there when the controller is turned on. You can also look at the device manager if you are familiar with it. You can download the Inventables’ GRBL version and install it using the Arduino IDE if the COM port to the controller is working correctly.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

The COM port pop up, but I can’t upload anything to it. :frowning: Not sure what’s going on. I get these messages from the g-code sender:
[21:47:21] Detected a change in available ports: [COM10]

[21:48:33] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM10 - Attempting to detect Firmware

[21:48:33] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM10

[21:48:33] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)

[21:48:37] [ connect ] Firmware Detected: grbl version 1.1g on COM10

[21:50:54] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

[21:50:56] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: COM10 - Attempting to detect Firmware

[21:50:56] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on COM10

[21:50:56] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)

[21:50:57] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)

[21:50:58] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)

[21:51:00] [ connect ] ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - you need a controller with Grbl 1.1x on it, or there is a problem with your controller. Closing port COM10

[21:51:00] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

You can’t upload anything to it with the Arduino IDE?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Not as of right now, no…

This is the message I see when trying to upload grbl to x-controller:

Sketch uses 29594 bytes (91%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 1484 bytes (72%) of dynamic memory, leaving 564 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM10”: Acceso denegado.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Saw the PM. What controller are you using? What did you fix?

Hey!! Thanks your responding. I fixed the old main controller board I have, it had a burnt driver but i replaced it. Now everything turns on but It doesnt connect to anything

Try restarting everything and then see if you can connect through Arduino.

Same result. However, I receive 0.0v on my pwm signal with this main controller board. With the other controller board, I always receive 4.4v. There seems to be somethingnot allowing it to connect

I uploaded the firmware to an arduino uno and it worked without issues. I also uploaded it to my other main controller board and uploaded without issues. It seems to be this board.

But you connected to something that told you you didn’t have the firmware installed, right?

Can you be more specific? Is it an X-Controller? An arduino? Something else?

Both main controller boards are from an x-controller. I think I’m just gonna buy a cnc shield and build an arduino controller… Its been months and I cant install my laser properly. Im dying over here.

What software did you use to connect? Because you did connect…it just closed after it couldn’t identify the firmware.

Where’d you get the X-controller mainboard? They’ve been known to have the FTDI chip fail.

I used openbuildsCONTROL, laserGRBL, and UGS. Both of theme from Inventables. The one i am trying to get to work right now is the original i had before. A driver burnt and inventables sent a replacement board, but it was working perfectly before that. Now that i replaced the driver, it just wont connect. I am trying to re-flash it but Arduino IDE says that its not in sync.

But you connected with which software?
Make sure everything else is closed when you try Arduino. Especially Easel.

with OpenbuildsCONTROL. It connects every now and then but i cant send any command when it does. I will close everything and try again only with arduino ide opened.

Unplug an replug the USB after you close everything.
Close Arduino and re-open it as well.

I restared my computer, X-controller, and unplugged and plugged everything back… still same result :face_with_thermometer:

Weird that you can connect sometimes through OpenControl. That would suggest that the serial chip is ok. Do you have a different USB cable? Assuming you’re connecting through the mini USB on the X-Controller and not the external?