Need help with an SVG file

Hello all! I would like to start off with “I am a newbie” so please, please forgive me. I recently purchased the 1000m X-Carve. I have cut a few things so far, albeit fairly basic. I work with the Bureau of Prisons and I am attempting to make a wooden sign of the seal. I found an SVG file of the seal online but when I import it, it is not like the one I downloaded. I am using Easel at the moment. I am trying to learn as much as possible through all of you that are on here and your past post have been EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you to all of you that have donated your time to this forum. I love this machine, but I am desperately trying to learn about the computer/software side of things. I downloaded Inkscape, but have zero clue what I am doing in there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! If the upload doesn’t work,
I downloaded it from the wiki commons site. Seal_of_the_Federal_Bureau_of_Prisons|8x8

After downloading the SVG did you check for open vectors?
When I tried it and it would not load Easel said to open the file in inkscape and then hit “shift-control-C” which I did and then it imported the image.

When I import it, the entire thing is at the same depth. I tried the Marines SVG from the same sight and it worked really well. But the BOP file is all set at the same depth. Sorry if I sound like I probably shouldn’t be doing this, but I am just getting started and hope to learn quickly! Thank you again for any help.

when you have it open to edit in Inkscape change it from colour to Gray scale. Easel only set depth by gray scale anyway and see if that helps.

I opened your file and converted it and I can see that it is a very complicated vector image. it has several shapes that are used as background images and such. you will need to import it and then click on each element and set the depth to your desired cut depth. it looks like it is going to be a project that is going to take some time.

Thank you for your reply. I believe I am on the right path now. You are right…it is going to take a long time. With the detail you seen in the image, what would you suggest as far as bits and depth of the detailed sections? I assume it would be best to complete this with a two-stage carve with the detail being vcarve bit? Again, thank you for your help. I am just scratching the surface on this stuff but I do consider myself a quick learner.

1 Like

I have no easy answers. I would try a V-bit on the fine details and see how it looks. I know a lot of people post about V-Carve things like the Aztec calendar or the star wars version of the same. both look real nice but you would need to ask them what bits speeds and feeds etc. as I have not done them.