There will be a new app released in a few days, this is the guide for that app.
Texture Generator App
This app allows you to to apply a texture pattern to fill a selected shape. If you need the texture to span multiple shapes, you must combine the shapes and then select the shape. This app does not generate a true “texture” with variable depths, but rather mimics the effect when using v-carve tool paths.
You can also choose to use your own custom texture by providing an svg path to use as the texture. The path will be patterned in the x and y directions to fill the selected shape.
- Texture Type - Choose many type of predefined textures. Can add more textures to the list as requested.
- Scale Texture - Scale the texture in the X & Y directions. By default, the y scale is set to be equal to the x scale.
- Rotate Texture - Rotate the texture in degrees
- Translate Texture - Move the texture along the x or y axis. Distance is set as a percentage of the texture size. So moving the texture 50 in the x direction would mean moving 50% of the texture width.
- Texture Padding - Put additional space between instances of a pattern. Specified as a percentage of the texture width or height.
- Texture Offset - Allows you to thicken or thin the texture by a desired amount. Can be positive or negative. When offsetting negatively, the texture may no longer line up properly. You may need to have negative padding as well to compensate.
- Texture Margin - Allows for a margin between the texture and the source shape. Can be positive or negative.
- Texture and Source Depth - By default the source shape will be set to 0 depth and the texture depth will be set to the material thickness. This can be changed to achieve different effects.
- Randomize - For some textures you can have the texture randomly rotated by 90 degrees to achieve a random effect. Only works on textures where the aspect ratio of the texture is 1-to-1.
If you want to use your own texture you will need to get the svg path for the texture you want.
For example, here is the source for the inventables texture: http://easel.inventables.com/projects/IQQwzB3IGL6EEtEzlS5g8g
As you can see this is a single shape (1 path). You then export this as an svg and then copy the path data inside the svg (Between the quotes). You can then paste this path data in the custom texture portion of the app to see your own texture.
If you have suggestions on how to improve the app. Please let me know!