New build Makerslide MAX

There are some parts arrived, but of course not all :rage: very frustrating.

But we are one step further.
Already did some stiffening off the X axis. Not really necessary but now is better than later.
Tomorrow I think will work on the A axis. I think I take some alu plate to fixed it on. I like that the tailstock is sliding .
But tomorrow we will see.
Only still waiting on the shoulder bolts to fix the Pinion assembly end the shaft for the worm gear. The send the gear but forgot the shaft, again waiting…
But photo’s says more than thousand words :grinning:

4 Likes

nice!

Very nice project, i’m looking forward to see what the cutting capabilitys are. Is the lower rail on the x axis shorter than the top one?

Jarno

Thats correct. The lower rail is recup from the original design. and after the upgrade to rack pinion machine become 4 cm wider.

I don’t want to order another one for only those 4 cm. For now there are some spacers 20mm on each side. maybe it become a problem I will change.

Grtz Koen

Today only half hour time to spend in the shop. Did some test on tensioning of the pinion assembly.
I hope the spring is heavy enough, or have to order stronger ones.

Koen

2 Likes

For those who thinks why all the rings or spacers (how do you call that in english) its because I m still waiting for the correct bolts.

Koen

Hey Koen,

any progress on the project?

Hi Jarno,

Yes this afternoon I did some jobs on the machine. I mounted the sliding A axis
Make the tensioning for the Y axis. Mounted the motor on the x axis. And did some testing.

The tensioning was more difficult then thought. To strong and motor slips and to lose and the pinion runs over the track. But found the right spot.

Also made a useful thing to calibrate the a axis tomorrow.

Here are some pictures with a meter that you could see the max size

3 Likes

Hi all,

machine is up and running Yeaaahhh :grinning:
I am really happy about my job, only had a problem with the A axis. I need to check the wiring. Maybe i switch something , he would not turn…

I just make some small things to check the calibration and goes smooth :blush:
made this feed 4.5m/min 3mm pass on ash wood.No problem at all

Its a bite ring for baby when they get there first teeth

Grtz koen

2 Likes

hi all,

I fixed the A axis today. I switched a wire. Nema 34 uses other color code :confused:
But its working great now.
I also make some funny things for the children. A growed meter. These is all stuff for checking my aligning.
It turend out great, but after measuring I saw that the centimeters were incorrect. Checked back in V carve it was bad drawing. I draw it correct but after I rescaled it. Stupid of course. But already draw a correct one :blush:

But I’m already thinking about things.
The carriage for the Z axis is working well but on deep strong cuts I think there is a bit of flex.
I re tighten the exentric rings but Hmmmm I was thinking maybe for the X axis some Hi win linear rail.

But not know… Its already expensive enough. First I’m gonna make all the tings on the list, maybe make some money and maybe an early christmas present :grinning:

that’s it for now

grtz Koen

4 Likes

Hi all,

Im still testing and looking how far I can go…:blush:
These afternoon I was working in mdf (because its cheap and mostly free from my job, I work in a hardware store)
Did some different tool paths and on one (big pocket ) I pushed it until 7m/min. I can tell you thats fast.And could go further. But first I need dust-shoe for this one. Because Im still without. Thats a mess…

Grtz Koen

3 Likes

Hi Koen,

how is it going with your machine? Right now i’m designing my machine, do you have any cad drawing of yours?

greetings Jarno

Hi Jarno

The machine is running good (excellent)I’m a happy user :blush:.

About the drawings, I must disappoint you because I don’t have any drawings of the complete machine. In my head lots off them :confused: but no digital or on paper…

Like I told you before , if it isn’t to far , be welcome. I’m from Antwerp.
I will tell you everything you ask about. What I recommend, and don’t recommend. Sizes material eletronics whatever. just shoot.

Im now only waiting to order the linear guides for the x axis. For this size and weight I will recommend linear guides.
And next time I don’t order the makerslide MAX and go direct the way of Alu like 8020 company in the USA or Motedis in Europe. And on top of that linear. Adjusting the wheels with the eccentric bushing is :rage:.
And its all heavier and more difficult.
So my advice , if you go that size or bigger Linear guides all the way.
I know that’s a lot more expensive More then a lot user friendly.
I also recommend the rack and pinion setting its so smooth and FAST.
And not that expensive.

Most off the material is ordered in the EU.

Rack and pinion stuff from the Uk Rail in Germany steppers in Hungary and the shielded cable in Belgium.

All the things I made at home in a normal hobbyist work shed, nothing fancy. Only the alu for the r &p ordered by a machine shop to make the pocket for the bearings.

And bolts and nuts and stuff like that in a normal big hardware store local.

Hope it helps a bit. But you know be welcome.

Give me a PM and send you my phone number if you want to call.

Grtz Koen