[New Feature] New editing tools

I’m happy to announce a couple of new editing tools to make it easier to create designs from within Easel! These are available to everyone as of now.

First is the return of the “pen” tool, but this time it is really useful! Enable it and click to drop points. Double click the first or last point or esc to get out of pen mode.

Once you’ve made a shape, you can edit it by clicking the “Edit points” button, or just selecting the shape and hitting E. You can move points around, turn a sharp edge into a curve, etc. Pro tip: hold Shift while dragging a points curve handle to keep the handles mirrored.

One caveat right now is that you cannot add new points to a shape yet. We are working on that now.

For a more detailed guide on how to use it, check out this support center article.

Give it a try, and as always let us know what you think!

33 Likes

Has anyone tried it yet?

1 Like

This right here is legit, thank you for continuing to add more robust features to Easel. I know I will use this, when I couldn’t tell you. haha

1 Like

Playing with it now, seems very nice. As much as I hate scope creep, the ability to set the distance between two points would be a nice enhancement.

2 Likes

Just whooped this out in about 10 minutes, love it!
http://easel.inventables.com/projects/6_REeo61PeZtA0voLTpccg

The new usability is amazing I just think that there should be a way to type the line length while drawing, or the angle.

1 Like

Yes…That thing is great! I have a couple of designs that I did with it, but have been waiting until an announcement to post anything.

The pen tool is fantastic! The best part is that we are able to edit most of the primitives as well using their nodes.

You should be able to edit any shape by double clicking it.

That’s good to know. I only tried the square and circle.

I also really like that double clicking when placing an end node allows us to make open shapes (e.g. lines). That’s really opens up a lot of projects that were inaccessible before.

Are there any plans to add some form of grid snapping?

1 Like

Would be good to be able to type in the location of points to get exact coords.

2 Likes

Hi, I really appreciate the new features, however I encountered an odd problem today. I created some SVG files in Inkscape and used easel to generate the Gcode and exported it. I run it through GRBL controller which has always worked great but today whenever I would run a program the machine would stop at the first node? have the new features altered how the Gcode is generated?
Thank you

AWSOME !
i made some quick test and it look realy nice
many thanks for upgrading easel more and more !

next step circular arc function ? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@RaphaelPascual can you please explain what you mean by circular arc function?

@BradT can you please explain more about what you mean by some form of grid snapping? The tool has orthogonal snapping. How do you want the snapping to work?

@Andy4us are you thinking that you would enter a value or combine your idea with @BradT and by snapping to the grid you instantly get precise dimensions?

@KerryOgle are you hoping to see the distance in real time as you drag the cursor?

@Zach_Kaplan we can make circle, but not part of like a chees part, or a pie, pizza xD duno the name in english sorry

it will be verry usefull to be able to make a part of a circle with fixed radius and angle, or point of start and point of finish and radius value. like if i want u draw a precise parenthesis like this → (
or a quarter of circle “outlined”

for the moment i use the fonction “combine” to “erase” the part i dont want… but many times it goes realy messy =(

i hope i was clear enough