[New feature] Pin shapes to the canvas!

Happy Friday folks!

We’ve added a new feature to Easel, the ability to pin/lock an object to the canvas.

This is especially useful for aligning objects up with one another when you have a specific shape already in place.

You can find the pin button in the Shape panel above the position anchors:

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/10952529/22597200/4374ad6a-e9f4-11e6-80fb-99c895fba6d2.png

This feature is currently in beta, to use it you’ll need to enable it. Go to Machine -> Advanced and check the box under Beta Features

Check out the demonstration below:

Let us know what you think, and if you find any bugs/issues with this feature please post in this topic so we can fix it!

18 Likes

Nice addition. This will most definitely come in handy. Thanks for the continued improvements.

2 Likes

This would have been great this morning with what I was designing, great feature! Thank You!

2 Likes

Thank you, very useful addition. Things just keep getting better.

2 Likes

Bravo!

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Very GOOD!!!, THANKS

2 Likes

@PhilJohnson this is the feature I mentioned.

1 Like

keep them coming, good job! thank you.

2 Likes

This is one of the greatest features I could ask for.

1 Like

Fantastic!

2 Likes

This is an excellent addition to Easel… Great work! Thank you for the continued effort to improve Easel and listen to the community its yet another reason that Inventables soars above the rest!

1 Like

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, glad to see this is a welcome addition!

I forgot to say this in the OP, but if you find any bugs/issues with this feature please post in this topic so we can fix it!

1 Like

Great feature - thanks!

I assume you can “undo” pinning, unlike combining objects?

My limited in-experience: if I pin, log out, shut down my computer(Mac), and come back later, the pin is gone. I have the same situation with the Z probe, having to resetup the machine. If I leave all the stuff on, it’s fine.

The z-probe settings (and pinning settings, among other things) are stored in your browser’s local storage. You’ll lose these settings every time if you run easel in an incognito/private tab. Some computers are configured to clear your browser history, cache, etc when you shutdown or exist the browser. Make sure this isn’t the case.

Note: your machine settings ($$ in machine inspector) are stored on the X-Controller/arduino’s onboard memory, so you won’t lose those.

If you are still having trouble email customer support and they’ll help you get to the bottom of it!

2 Likes

It might not always be ideal, but it follows suit with web best-practices.

1 Like

Very nice feature that will be extremely useful.

@EricDobroveanu Looks like you can’t copy pinned shapes, is that by design? For what it’s worth, I wasn’t expecting that behavior (since it makes no changes to the original), but maybe I’m not seeing the use case in which that would be preferable.

Awesome and love it… great job guys & gals as always. One suggestion, cna the button be highlighted when active for an object.

1 Like