New Video on Epoxy Inlays Test

What was the brand of epoxy you used?

I got mine from Germany many years ago - Epoxy Resin L + Hardener L (40 min)

But most slow cure resins will do :slight_smile:

This is the epoxy I used in the video. You do have to work quickly. A slow cure epoxy would give you much more time to get it poured and to remove the air bubbles.

To add to that - slow cure usually = thinner epoxy, high viscosity which prevent a lot of the air to get trapped in the first place. The air that do get mixed in rise faster.

One thing I want to add. You can add a couple drops of alcohol to then epoxy when mixing. This will thin the epoxy giving a slower cure time and allow you to move more of the bubbles to the surface

You are correct. But the inlays are not flying and I don’t have to worry about wing load or a spar breaking.

I would love to be able to buy locally the 30 min or 90 min epoxy but no one carries it and I have not committed to ordering online.

West systems is an excellent product and you are right, it is expensive and is excellent for building boats. As a hobbiest, my little 4oz bottles work just fine.

I too fly both full scale and rc models aircraft and have used epoxy as well as white glue successfully for decades. Several of my planes are over forty years old and are still flying. Similar to the airlines, they just keep going and going with the same aircraft. Lol

Awesome. I also use CA glue as a finish on my pens that I make. It lasts longer than the finish on the metal parts of the pen or pencil.

That was one of the original purposes of CA glue. It works well a bandage. I’ve used it a number of times for small cuts.

I do epoxy inlaid signs a lot with solid surface and solid surface adhesive, which is just epoxy. I usually route the solid surface about 1/16" deep and then squirt the adhesive in the pockets. Let it dry and sand it flush. You can get solid surface adhesive in many different colors. I have a gun for the cartridges, but you can usually get small single use pods also that you can mix and squirt.

Do you have a product name and a source to obtain the product. I’m interested in this product. Thanks

Do you guys seal your surface with anything before carving to avoid having the colored epoxy bleed into the grain?

@LeeWyatt Yes, I put several coats of shellac to seal the wood. I discuss this in one of my videos. Here is the link: Take a look at this video and several others that I did and you should get a good idea on how to to it

1 Like

FYI when you pour the 5min epoxy you need to have it come out in a very thin pour. You will get less air bubbles. Some people will pour from a height of 1 and 1/2 feet so air bubbles will be at a minimum.

I also add a little alcohol to the mix

What grit sandpaper do you use?

I will start with either 80 or 100 and work up to the 12000 grit pads I also polish with the headlight polish and protection. It’s much cheaper using the headlight cleaners than the woodworking products

1 Like

@PhillipLunsford what specific headlight polish do you use to shine up the epoxy after the final sanding