New wide makerslide- issue with threads?

Yes you could re-tap the holes, but with much difficulty.
I agree with JK.
With what I’ve been reading about the incredible service provided by Inventible, why mess with it.

I’m not sure but from how I read it @JeremyHanks may be referring to the integrity of the design itself. The strength of threading a hole with a slot down the side vs threading a solid hole. I could be completely wrong however. Just how I read it.

There should be plenty of material there to maintain integrity of the threaded “barrel” given the amount of tourque that is reasonably expected to be applied in this application. With enough force to compromise the threads, it would not matter if there was a slot down one side or not the threads would be ripped out, rendering the part unusable.

If the centerline of the bore hole is out of parralel with the centerline of the extrusion that is definitely a defective part IMHO. Atempting to rebore or rethread the hole will probably result in a weakened or unusable piece.

Yes, @RickPeterson is correct, I was asking about the integrity of threading the slotted hole as designed in this extrusion, not about whether me re-threading the hole would be a viable option.

@JkWestphal , thank you for your response. It seems that most feel that slotted hole in this design is fine, as long as the threads are cut properly. It also seems that most people will not see the non-concentric threading that I have on my unit. Luck of the draw on my end it seems :slight_smile: I do suggest that people look for this issue before assembling.

So to recap, the design should be plenty strong but it is possible that there could be defective parts that are not threaded correctly. The number of units affected should be quite low based on those commenting that they had no issues relative to my one unit that did have this issue. It is also not recommended to try and fix this defect if you happen to receive one.

I do have an email out to Inventables to try and resolve the issue. Thanks everyone for your input. I do apologize that I inflamed an issue early on that never should have been brought up. Should have learned when I heard the saying “A fool is a man that takes offense when no offense is intended.”

2 Likes
1 Like

I received my two wide MakerSlides last week. Upon receipt I opened the box and examined that there were no dents on the rails. Now, after reading this thread, I had a closer look on the parts. The first wide MakerSlide does not have a single thread cut straight! All eight of them are crooked. On the other makerslide, four of the eight threads are cut crooked.

Yay Inventables! @Zach_Kaplan http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quality+control

Yup I would be screamin…

4 Likes

inventables has always had great customer service I imagine if you call them they will send you out a new one right away

:ok_hand::thumbsup:

1 Like

Well said Phil. I think sometimes you do come off a bit adversarial/confrontational. No one should take it personally though. If that truly was your “personality” you wouldn’t be so helpful on the boards and so willing to showcase your work. You make us all better tinkers!! Thank You!

1 Like

if someone is kind enough to help, they probably aren’t being a jerk. Just my 2 cents lmao I’m bored and thought I’d chime in.

2 Likes

@Jyrki I’m sorry if it came like that. Give us a call 312-775-7009 our email Customer Success and they will get it fixed.

Zach

2 Likes

maybe you dont use de right screw :joy:

13 Likes

FYI, Inventables is sending me a replacement Wide Makerslide. If you have improperly threaded holes, reach out to them and they will take care of you.

My replacements are on the way, too. I really hope that someone checked them before sending them out.

BTW, does anyone have any ideas for repurposing (is that a word?) the faulty extrusions? It would be a shame to just scrap them.

They would make good camera sliders. You could drill and tap the sides as necessary to attach it to an upright mount.

My thoughts exactly. I’m probably going to go the camera slider route.

I had to do a google search for camera slider… I’m not much of a photographer. I actually just gave away my DSLR to my niece and don’t have any cameras besides an action camera and the one on the phone.

Very cost prohibitive as I live in Finland. Also, I don’t believe that tapping them would work out.

Inventables made everything right and I got a new Wide Makerslide. This one looks MUCH better! Id just encourage everyone to look at your threads prior to assembly.

2 Likes