Today we launched the new X-Carve. Today is about much more than a hardware launch it’s about everyone on this forum, everyone who has participated in the community, everyone that shares our spirit and passion for making. Our hope is this new X-Carve helps you grow along your maker journey.
There were more than a dozen updates to this new model. They all came from listening to the community. We worked hand in hand with the amazing community over the last year to do our best to help every person be successful. Sometimes success came quickly and other times there were issues to troubleshoot. We worked together and solved problems, created new projects, and inspired each other.
We also added a new size today…750mm
Here’s a sneak preview of the key items.
The new sideboard attaches to your X-Carve wasteboard and is a tidy solution for securing your X-Controller. The X-Controller has 5x more power.
The extruded Wide MakerSlide makes the gantry stronger and more reliable for all carves.
With the new Z-probe, you can quickly and reliably find the material surface electronically. Like all the wiring on the new X-Carve it’s plug and play.
We now include belt sleeves with the kit. They perform the same function that heat shrink tubing does, but they look more polished and are a lot easier to adjust when the belt stretches over time.
We worked with Ben Uyeda from Home-Made Modern to showcase what you can do with the new X-Carve.
Here’s a list of all the upgrades:
- Belt Assembly: We use a custom molded part to make assembly easier and reduce slippage.
- Loose Hardware: We moved to locking hardware wherever we could. This prevents nuts from coming loose due to vibration.
- Eccentric Spacers: We got rid of eccentric nuts and moved to eccentric spacers.The eccentric spacers have a machined dot to help located the side offset closest to the hole. This helps with determining the right way to turn to tighten.
- Z Bracket: There is more clearance to prevent bumping the Dewalt router.
- Home Switches: The placement prevents smashing of switches with bad GCode.
- Z Lead Screw: The new lead screw is made in the US by a company that only does ACME lead screws. It is less likely to wobble.
- Drag Chain: It is fully supported now and will not droop over time. It is also much larger and has openable doors. This makes wiring easier especially if you want to run your AC router through the chain.
- Gantry Stiffness: We now use wide MakerSlide which is significantly stiffer.
- Motor Pulleys These are now permanently mounted. They do not need to be located and will not slip.
- Wiring It is now fully connectorized and takes about 1/10th the time to wire, no soldering or crimping required.
- X-controller: It has four stepper drivers instead of 3. Each stepper can handle 4amps where the old model could only handle 1.5amps. It also has a heat sink and fan to prevent overheating on long carves. It comes with an Estop and button controls built in.
- Side Board: This feature neatly organizes your electronics – Adds organization to setup and mounts onto frame to organize and place electronics
- Z Probe: This is fully integrated into the design as an option.
I’m so excited to hear your feedback!