Newbie here! Question about collet adaptor

Hello! I am a complete newbie! I was trying to cut letters about on 1/8" birch using a 1/8" bit and out flew my bit and collet adaptor. I need to order 1/16 and 1/32 bit (any recommendations) to cut out letters (script). Also, I would like to invest in maybe a sturdier collet adaptor? Any information on this? Was my collet not tightened enough perhaps?? Thanks in advance!

You’re not the first to have this happen. This topic comes up frequently. A common recommendation is that you not use collet adapters but instead buy an additional collet of the right size. This is exactly what I do. I have a 1/4 inch and a separate 1/8 inch.

If you have a micrometer you may also want to check your bit’s diameter. I have one bit that is actually 6 mm and not 1/4 inch. That’s less than 14 thousandths smaller than 1/4" and yet my 1/4" collet cannot cinch it down. If your bit is actually 3 mm and not 1/8 inch, you may be having some issues there.

I have used the adapter that Inventables supplied for 2 1/2 plus years now with no issues.
I would guess your tightening method was lacking torque or bit shank was not correct size.

2 Likes
1 Like

As others have mentioned, I would recommend you use a 1/8 precision collet, Elaire (link post above) makes good precision collets of different sizes. For the 1/16 and 1/32 bits, usually the shank of these bits are also 1/8 with a tapered end of the right size for cutting so they would fit in a 1/8 collet.