Newbie to CNC world

Recently order the 750 X-carve and I have to say I wasn’t quick ready to put this thing together. Working as a carpenter for years I wanted to have a way to personalize some of the side projects I do. These rough old callused hand had quit the time assembling and I was afraid of dropping g some of the smaller pieces and losing them. I sure I’m not the only one. I spend more time in the field and shop than on a computer so my experience is minimal when it comes to downloading software or programs. I used to have help from the kids but they have their owns lives.
I’m having trouble getting the Easle to link with my laptop. I’ve read some of the forums but I just don’t quite get it. Is there someone or some place I can look for the sequences of setting this up to connect to the X-controller. I’ve gotten as far as the Enter your machine details page but a pop up keeps saying to connect USB to computer, (I’m not that slow) but I can’t get any further. Any help or suggestions are Greatly appreciated.
Mark

If you call Inventables and explain your problem, they will literally walk you through the steps.
Absolutely great people to deal with.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

1 Like

@MarkPHall I was exactly where you are a year and a half ago. The support team is excellent. Once you get up and running take a look at some of my videos. They will help you get started. Here is the link

I appreciate the input. After going through the forums further I kept coming back to either a port problem, cable problem or the emergency cut off switch. Racked myself for about 4 hours last night then another 4 this morning taking the controller apart several times to test issues. The last thread I read a light bulb went off in my head and I couldn’t believe it was that simple a remedy. I don’t have any equipment that has an emergency cutoff switch so I wasn’t sure how it worked. The instruction on Inventables and the New Brit Workshop didn’t say to make sure you pull the switch fully up. I may have miss read or spaced over it. Anyway, once rectified everything worked. Machine jumped to live and the testing was simple. Using some scrap pine board I set it to work on its sample pattern and was impressed at the speed that it carved. Now it’s time to play in Easle to get a better feel for things l’d like to do. Nothing fancy to strat but I can see the potential.
Mark

Recently order the 750 X-carve and I have to say I wasn’t quick ready to put this thing together. Working as a carpenter for years I wanted to have a way to personalize some of the side projects I do. These rough old callused hand had quit the time assembling and I was afraid of dropping g some of the smaller pieces and losing them. I sure I’m not the only one. I spend more time in the field and shop than on a computer so my experience is minimal when it comes to downloading software or programs. I used to have help from the kids but they have their owns lives.
I’m having trouble getting the Easle to link with my laptop. I’ve read some of the forums but I just don’t quite get it. Is there someone or some place I can look for the sequences of setting this up to connect to the X-controller. I’ve gotten as far as the Enter your machine details page but a pop up keeps saying to connect USB to computer, (I’m not that slow) but I can’t get any further. Any help or suggestions are Greatly appreciated.
Mark

HI @MarkPHall there are a couple of resources:

Learn more about using Easel at Inventables.com/classes

M-F 9-5 CST someone from our customer success team can remotely connect to your computer and help you troubleshoot any connection issues.

If you are using a Mac it should auto detect. For some PCs it will auto detect and for others you will need to manually enter the port number. You can find the port number by going to the device manager.

Did you install the Easel driver yet?

1 Like

Thanks Zack, actually it was my bad, I didn’t pull the emergency stop all the way up so no connection. Went round and round a few times before I figured it out. Did the test pattern and it came out great, really impressed and I see the potentials.
Mark

Another issue that occurred today, my new laptop crashed while it was doing a windows update. I have to take it to Best Buy tomorrow for a look see, it not even a month old. Jeez! The question today is, I’ve noticed watching a lot of the videos on YouTube that there are other software programs that will work with easle. What are or is the best programs to work with? I’m not a real techie but I catch on pretty quick and I’m learning a lot with Easle but it seems to have its limitations. I’d like to work with different fonts for text work and a better grid that is more incremental. Some of the pieces I’ve made and will make require specific dimensions. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Everything I’ve read the x-carve community are every helpful.

Mark

Take a look at Vectrics, VCarve. You can download a trail version for free. Here is a video using vcarve and generating the gcode for easel to carve

Inkscape is free and is very useful. I have videos on that also. Take a look and I will try to answer any questions

I liked that video and have watched several more of your projects. Your slow pace helps me understand and mimic some of the steps you are using. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@MarkPHall what type of project videos would you like to see that could help you in your projects?

Phillip, I’ve been watching most of your videos which helped a lot. Don’t have a specific project yet just trying to understand the ins and outs of Easle. One video you showed how to combine two objects, I did that to move to another project screen but how do I un-combine now to make a modification?

I am able to salvage the piece I screwed up by cutting part of the design and pasteing to a new project screen. Continuing with the damaged piece to finish the front section of the project. I’m making a tray for the X-Carve clamp kit out of Azek. I’ll clean the damaged section then glue a 3/4 piece (after carving) as a step up for the remaining pieces. In SW Florida Azek is used for a lot of exterior trim and I was curious to see how the X-Carve would handle this material. So far so good, other than he issue yesterday. This thing is fun and I still have a ways to go.
Mark

1 Like

Use the exploder app in Easel