Newbie to CNC

I live in Columbus Ohio and am researching the X Carve machine.
I know very little about CNC machining, but I’m very interested in it.
hence, you may understand my apprehension.
I don’t mind spending the money, but I also don’t want it to be something that I wont be able to learn and the machine not used.
Is there anyone I the Columbus area that has a machine and wouldn’t mind giving me a demo?

At least you can go to Youtube and search for X-Carve videos. Just sit and enjoy the show.

Thank you for the response Allen,
I have been doing just that, but I was hoping to maybe see a machine in person, talk with the owner, and ask dumb questions.
I know its a long shot because I don’t just let strangers into my shop either.

1 Like

I think what you ask is smart : you should find someone with CNC experience in your neighbourhood and have a drink before spending 1500$.
Check out if there is a FabLab (or Techshop) in your area. They (may) have this expertise. You could also ask the question on other forums (Shapeoko, Openbuilds, …) It’s not necessary to find someone with an X-Carve, any hobby DIY CNC-machine will do.

I’m from Belgium, a bit far from the US, but you’re welcome in my shop any time :slight_smile:
Good luck!

1 Like

Hey Jan,
I live down near Louisville (not really close but not too far either) and am free most Thursdays and Fridays. You are welcome to come down and take a look at my shop and play with the XC. PM me and we’ll work something out.

Nothing beats talking to someone face to face about equipment they use all the time.

2 Likes

If you find the inspiration to locate the source of the Mississippi river, I am located within 20 miles of it and you can stop by as well. Just be sure to bring adult beverages and dancing girls. Well, adult beverages would be nice anyway. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you all for the responses.
Strooom,
while I would love to visit your country, and your shop, I’m afraid it just isn’t in the cards my friend…
but I do appreciate your comments and hospitality.

Lewis,
I’m going to save your invitation, because I do in-fact have a couple of customers in Louisville, and get there on occasion.
I may have to plan a trip on some Wednesday and come back to Columbus on Friday.

Jk,
I don’t know my friend, but being where you’re located I just don’t know.
Believe it or not, I’ve had to warm up my beer before drinking, but not in the summer time. (I just checked and its 67° there) ((92° here in Columbus))
Thank you for the invite anyway…

I was really hoping to find someone in Ohio or even Michigan.
and yes, I would be glad provide the “Adult” beverages.

Jan, I live in Westerville, Ohio. I sent you a private message but go no response. If you did see it and responded to my email address I never received it. Feel free to email me at grant.davis09@yahoo.com

I once had an X-Carve. It was never put together and not even taken out of the box. I travel quite a bit for work and just did not have the time that I thought I would when I bought it. I sold it to our maintenance guy from Marysville but he no longer works here so I do not know what he has done with it.

I do not currently have another CNC but I did buy Vectric’s V-Carve software and have been playing around with it while travelling. I am going tomorrow morning to look at an Axiom CNC at Woodwerks here in Columbus. They are having a big sale this weekend that ends tomorrow.

I look forward to hearing from you that maybe we could get together and discuss things over an adult beverage sometime. I am not sure where you are located but I am between Westerville and New Albany close to Hamilton Road North of SR161.

Hope to hear from you,
Grant Davis