Newbie trying to do an art project

Hi! I am an artist trying to create a reverse plate to do etching on paper through a press. The goal here is to take this outline of a river and invert it so it creates an embossment like the original photo appears to be. Does that make sense? Frankly, I don’t know if I make this an SVG file or what. And, how to invert it… :flushed: I am a bit in over my head. Any clues would be so helpful. I thank anyone in advance.

1 Like

Here’s how you’d invert a design like this:
Depending on the location, there are many online resources that generate SVGs for any topographical feature including rivers, often based on USGS or Google Earth info…

1 Like

Here’s a quick piece for you. Is this what you are after? The first workpiece has the river as the negative space and the second workpiece has the land as the negative space.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Brandon! YES! This is what I needed. How did you do that? Is there a step by step instruction somewhere? THANK YOU!

1 Like

I did the following:

1. Saved the image to my computer.
  2. Imported the image via the Image Trace app.
  3. Changed the size.
  4. Changed some of the nodes at the top to make the delta portion of the river solid.
  5. Selected all of the individual objects of the river and combined them.
  6. Flipped the river horizontally and aligned it accordingly.

For the second workpiece with the river as positive:

1. Copied the river object from the first workpiece to a new workpiece
  2. Added a rectangle the same dimensions as the river object; set the depth accordingly
  3. Sent the rectangle to the back with respect to Z-Order
  4. Change the river object depth to Zero

I removed a couple of points on the river delta’s edges to make it more square, but that’s not really necessary.

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

PERFECT!! I am capturing this and saving it. You have educated one more lost soul out here Brandon! Thank you for your help my friend. :pray:

1 Like

No problem; that is what it is all about!! I am glad it worked for you and you found the instructions useful.

Enjoy!!

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Hi Seth, I really want to thank you for taking the time to make this video for me. That was immensely generous of you. I am envious of your fluency in the program and hope to be there one day!

Kind regards,

Jay

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.