Next Level 1000mm X-Carve CNC Enclosure

It’s all Ramco Metals material. It’s my employer, located in Detroit Michigan. I can post a part list but it won’t provide much information because all different manufacturers use different part numbers. (For examples 7034, 9370 , 9372, and so on). But the framework of the project is all 1 3/4 X 1 3/4 plain aluminum tube with a 1/8" wall thickness. I used “Sash” to mount onto the tube to glaze the Laminators Aluminum Composite paneling into the roof, back, and sides of the enclosure. The rest are all doors with many extrusion types which typically manufacturers won’t sell, they only sell the finished door itself.

so does your employer sell this material?

Yes they do, but they only sell to glazing contractors and you have to go through a credit reference to open an account with the company. It would be best to make contact with a commercial glazing contractor in your area and see if they can sell you the material it’s likely they will sell it you to, you may just have to wait for it to ship in.

hmmm I will have to look further into this and see what I can come up with

I know a few glazing companies I may have to check into some parts. I love the clean look on this, the one I did in plywood looks like a 3rd grader did it compared to this one :slight_smile:

There you go! It’s all about those connections! If they have trouble getting some custom doors that size tell them to give Ramco in Detroit a call, we can hook them up with an account.

It would be a very lucky happenstance, but a lot of manufactures will make small size mock-ups of the door and frame assembly to take to architects/engineers office or sometimes for a specific project, but if it was the right size it could be a win-win for both people.

Very true, many manufacturers do make sample doors at a smaller scale to demonstrate the complete construction of there doors to take to trade shows are around to customers and architects. Although most big name manufacturers such as Kawneer/Tubelite/Vistawall/US Aluminum wont mess with projects like this unless under certain circumstances. I know that our smaller scale doors are made at a height of 36" (Other manufactures may vary) which is pushing the height to which the 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 plain tube structure can handle on a standard clip joint application. Being said you would have to result to either A- Stronger Joints (welded) or B-Lower stand to set your machine on. Either way you have your positives and negatives.

Man the inventables community is awesome, I thrive off all this group collaboration and ideas, I appreciate all the input!

Incase anyone are interested in some elevation views of the project I attached the sketch I had while building/designing it. Note they are not to scale and there was one minor change on the top elevation view, I moved the horizontal to match the verticals in both the left and right elevation views.

elevations-07062016155715.pdf (289.6 KB)

what does it take to call ramco up and set up an account?

I don’t personally deal with that area of the business, but I do know that you have to go through a credit reference check and fill out a few pages of paperwork for review. We only open accounts for glazing contractors also please note.

Great project! Do you have the plans attached somewhere in this thread? I’d sure like to build this for our STEM lab here at our school. I saw your comment on the list of materials…it would be really helpful to have a list of materials to estimate the cost. If you could make one to order, I’d be very interested in purchasing one!

Hi Zach,

So, do you have a list of materials for your enclosure? We just assembled our X-Carve 1000mm, and now we definitely need an enclosure for it. If you have a list of materials or plans, it would sure help our school’s efforts to get the router up & operating. If you’ve got them somewhere else on Instructables could you point me to them? Yours is the nicest enclosure I’ve seen so far!