Noob Question on curved carving

I have spent days watching CNC videos and reading many of the threads on this and other forums. I am trying to find examples of carving curved surfaces? 99% seems to be flat surfaces? The candy bowls have sharp 90° corners. My specific interest is ship 1/2 models? Can anyone help me find a simple file to carve a wooden spoon to impress the wife? “You spent $2000 and you can’t make a wooden spoon?” :dizzy_face:

If I am understanding you correctly, you are looking to perform 3D carving. Unless you can find an existing 3D model to import, you will need a 3D CAD program such as Aspire to do what you want. There are many 3D models already out there. The one that I found that has the most is

But with that site, you usually have to pay for each model you want.

You need to have a 3d model of the curved surface.
You can use Autodesk’s Fusion 360.
or Cut3D / V-Carve (you will have to use a 3d modeling program for the object your trying to cut first)

There are other ways as well but these seem to be the norm.
Curved surfaces are 3d objects made from a square/rectangular blocks.
The magic is in the software you use to generate the G-code / 3d Geometry.

Thank you. As you can easily see, I do not have a basic understanding of the terminology. The Easel software can create curves on the x or y axis but not on the z axis. My conventional description of either a baseball or a matchbox being a 3D object has to be changed. Making wooden spoons with a bandsaw, small blade table saw and sander seems such a dumb idea when we have the marvelous new x-carve machine. Now I have an even longer, steeper learning curve to climb.

Here is a wooden spoon I cut with 2 sided carving- required Vectric Aspire software:

1 Like

thingiverse has some free models too

Like this

I found 1000’s of 3D files here Spoons bowl - 3D model (*.gsm+*.3ds) for interior 3d visualization. | "Set of wooden spoons" - Collection
Now I will see if ***.gsm and/or **.3ds can be converted?

Don’t forget

The only bird I have come across is the Flamingo

What kind of bird?

You cannot carve a wooden spoon, YET,

With time , experience and understanding you will eventually.

With a small blade on my table saw, a bandsaw and a disk sander, I’ve been able to “carve” spoons, forks and anything I have thought of. Re-inventing the wheel was not my purpose. Now I understand the limitations of the Y axis, I realize it is not a robotic arm, just a vertical router. It is great to see many of the problems of beam flex and misalignment being addressed. The machine is getting better all the time.

Someone already did: Noob Question on curved carving - #5 by ErikJenkins

I wasn’t stating that it had not been accomplished, rather that @ReidNichol hasn’t been able to do it -YET- but with time and perseverence eventually he might.

3 Likes