Normal for a 90* v-bit?

I used a 90* v-bit on this carve. Are these lines normal for a v-bit? I will be doing this carve again but most likely use a two bit carve. Also, what is better for detail a 60 or 90 v-bit? I would say a 90 is but God knows I have been wrong many times before!! :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

I would def do a 2 stage carve. Maybe a 1/8 bit for the roughing then use a 90* for the detail. That is a real nice design too!! Great Job

2 Likes

Thanks!! I was just wondering what it would look like by reversing the colors so I did a test run. My wife also likes it which is a big plus!!. :slight_smile: On the next carve I am going to paint it then seal it real good then paint the carved area maybe white. I’m hoping with it sealed really good to stop any bleeding and also let me wipe off any over run of the water based white paint.

1 Like

Use vinyl as a mask on it when you engrave it, and then you can paint it easily without worrying about getting paint on the black.

3 Likes

How are you securing the wood to the machine?
If you’re clamping the 4 corners the wood could be bowing in the middle and moving up and down when the bit makes contact with the wood resulting in the lines you’re seeing.

To stop the bleeding you need to seal the wood first then paint the black.
Carve
Then seal the carved areas, then paint the white
Russell

4 Likes

What type of vinyl would I need? I have some Oracal Oramask 813 Stencil Tape but the bits just chew it up and very little is left on the wood.

1 Like

That’s the right vinyl.

What 90⁰ bit are you using and what is it entered into easel as? (What’s the width setting in easel and the vbit stepover % set to?)

That looks like the stepover is too much, and possibly the vbit isn’t a true V at the tip

1 Like

I will have to get back to you tomorrow when I get out to the shop. The v-bit is one I picked up when I first started in cnc I will attach a picture of it. I will look for the width setting and stepover%. Sounds like I have a LOT to learn yet…

1 Like

have never heard of doing it that way. I’ll give that a try. However, I would have to seal the whole carve and not just the carved area right? If not then I would be unable to remove any paint I will get on the black, my hand and a paintbrush are not nice to each other! 😜.Thanks for the tip on that and the v-bit. I’ll try double-sided tape instead of the clamps.

2 Likes

Yeah, so first you’d paint the black, let it dry/cure so the vinyl doesnt pull it off, then cover the entire thing in vinyl, carve through the vinyl, paint the carved area, and after it dries a bit you can peel the vinyl off

2 Likes

Yes, seal the whole piece first.

I did this awhile back but it goes through the process I use.
Most people use (blue) Oramask 813, I use (Gray) Oramask 810 because if conforms to curves better.
I used Shellac on plywood and I use Varathane sanding sealer on MDF.

Edit:Click on the link that says A few projects that I have made

Russell

1 Like

I just picked a v-bit the the easel list. The Step Over is 40% and the V-Bit Detail Step Over is 1%. These settings I have never touched. This bit has a 1/4" shank.
Which 90* and 60* vbits you use most often?

1 Like

Ive used that Vbit before, and it can be difficult to get the cutter centered, so you may want to check that your cutter is properly set. Mount the bit in the spindle, and lower it down until it just barely touches the waste board. Then spin the bit by hand and see if the point stays in center or if its out of alignment

1 Like

Hard to tell from the pic but it does look out of alignment

1 Like

try flipping the carbide and recheck the alignment

I know a guy who made a video about aligning those carbide inserts and how to test tk verify concentric alignment :wink:

1 Like

Dont know why i waste my time here, i know Seth has a video for everything already lol.

2 Likes

Great work! Thanks for all the information you provided. Will be trying your hopefully soon. Will also be buying some quality v-bits in line with “you get what you” saying. They won’t be from the top shelf but they also will not be from the bargain basement. LOL

1 Like

Thanks Seth. Watched the video and will check my vbit(s) for center.

1 Like

:grin: i only cover the tricky stuff. Things that cause people problems, and usually its because ive had to explain it so many times i figure making a video once means i wont have to explain it again. :laughing:

But youre right with the photo you put up with the line, the tip looks out of line. :+1:

1 Like