Not the correct depth

Having problems carving out a sentence with all the words at the correct depth. I’ve made sure the material thickness is accurate, the Z axis is accurate, nothing is warped (waste board and material), the table and material is leveled but nothing worked (please see attached picture). The words on the picture is facing the X axis (6 o’clock position of the table). The words “Let us run with endurance the” is not carving at the correct depth, especially “Let us run with” as it seems to skim over certain areas and not carve correctly. I’m not tech savvy and so I’m trying to understand. Can any please help?

Thanks!

I’m using the recommended depth per pass at 0.06 in.

Clamping forces may induce height differences relative to the bit which is ultimately the reason why this is happening.
I bet that if you scoot over to the beginning of the line and lower Z so it touch, then do the same over at “endurance” it wont be at the same Z-height.

These type of carved dont leave a lot of margin for error, only minute height differenced (relative to the bit) can cause large visual discrepancies.

1 Like

I have the same issue with rough stock from time to time. Cover up what cut correctly and re carve the areas that need it. When setting your Z set it in the area of the text that did not carve correctly.

1 Like

Another possibility is related to your V bit.

It is entirely possible the tip of your V bit may be broken, lending to missing parts of a carve, especially at a depth of .06". Or you may have set the depth of cut (flat depth) too shallow. (Not sure if that option is available in Easel. I use Aspire/V Carve)

V bits work by adjusting the Z height to achieve the thickness of the line as desired.
If the tip is broken off, on very thin lines, the bit will not contact the workpiece properly.

Try to either lower your depth, or try it with a new bit.

1 Like

I had the same problem with my xcarve when I assembled it. I was almost 1/8” difference over a 20” length. Talked with tech support tried different bits and different stock which made no difference. The only way I could cut long words the same depth was to do 3 letters at a time and reset the z probe every 3 letters.

My table was level. I didn’t see any gap under a straight edge across the surface which made me think that it wasn’t a wasteboard issue.

However, hopeful for a solution i ordered a cnc wasteboard flattening bit. Before I did my whole wasteboard I double side taped a piece of mdf to the wasteboard and flattened that. Then as a trial I put my material on top of that and the first cut was perfect.

So I guess the problem was in fact my wasteboard. I don’t know how to explain that when a straight edge was on it that it seemed flat. But a $30 bit and some time fixed it for me. Just a mess of mdf dust.

-Ben

Thanks for the help guys. I’m pretty sure I’m setting the z right. But to make sure, these are the steps that I take. 1. I put the tip of the bit over the x, y axis. 2. Put the probe/plate under the bit connect and start. I see some touching the plate and then lower the bit down to a paper thickness above the material. Is that necessary or am i doing it wrong?

Simply put, I am technogolically illiterate and I need some help.

I tried carving words into a 1.5" wooden stripe and it will not cut at the correct depth for all the words. I found (but it’s a hit or a miss) that the best area to start the x, y zero is toward the center of the work area. It appears that it will start skimming or rising to the right and the lower half of the work area but now it’s starting to have the same issue toward the back if the work area. If this makes sense. I made sure things are squared, wasteboard flat and leveled, and I even added to the material thickness and z probe plate but NOTHING WORKED.

I have not checked/made changes to the stepper motor for x, y, and z axis. This is a bit frustrating and I’ve been prolonging a few projects because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions or videos I can follow?

Greatly appreciated, blessings.

Assuming the offset value (thickness of the touch plate) is correct, you do not need to lower the bit afterwards.
What happens is when probing is once connection is detected, the Z value is zeroed, bit retract to safety height with Z in check.

So if the Z offset value is correct, your Z is aligned.

Makes sense, thanks Haldor!

Any idea on the issues I’m running into?

I’m trying to understand. Do you mean put the tip of the bit at its x,y zero just a hair below the top of material and probe from there?

Your issue is that the material to be carved is not level with the Z of your machine. It only take minute differences to make such artefacts to occur. The bed may be parallell to Z but that dont matter if the material to be carved isnt. The quick fix is to block out the good carvings in Easel, and re-run the “weaker” parts individually, with a slightly deeper Z setting.

Clamping forces can skew your results, play in your Z-assembly can also.

Thanks Haldor, I’ll try that this weekend.