Nothing to report

Received my 500mm kit on Thursday and had it running by Saturday. Total build time around 8 hours for a newb like me. Followed the instructions to the letter with one exception (see below) and it all works just fine.

Pros. High quality kit, fantastic packaging especially on the small parts. Easy to put together and easy to tune (as per tuning video).

Cons. Machine itself is fine but find the power supply/controller to be too close due to stepper cables being a bit short. That means moving the whole thing difficult and concerned that it’ll get full of waste. To this end I diverted from the instructions and have rotated the controller housing 180 degrees so stepper cables come out of the front. My first mod will to make a new loom so I can locate the power supply a few feet away.

But otherwise I’m very happy. My expectations have been exceeded. Did some test carves in solid spruce board (using Maple settings) and they came out just fine, better than I hoped.

Cheers

Ian

6 Likes

Looking good, also I’m always thinking about building a loom for my wife. Would you share your experiences.

Loom

1 Like

Aaahaha, I thought you’re planning to build Rigit-Heddle floor loom. Sorry.

Hah :smiley: My sister actually wants to see if I can make her a Rigit-Heddle loom, maybe @Zach_Kaplan will find a project like that worthy of a Tip Jar bounty.

1 Like

I had to look up what this meant:

anyone else interested in a loom?

@AlanDavis :smile: No not that kind of loom but a wiring loom.

But @PeterJames & @Zach_Kaplan I think a manually operated loom would be a fun little project for X-Carve. Not sure on the designs for these machines but I’d be interested.

Cheers

Ian

1 Like