Nuka bottle cap

9 Likes

Robert,
This is the vectrics bottle cap.
The corners are not as sharp, and its a bit more rounded.

Random STL I downloaded from thingiverse.com. I was not happy with how the edges turned out, so I’ll be trying the stock Vectric model next.

Looks like somebody likes Fallout :slight_smile:

There is the stl and dwg I used in this thread: Fallout 4 Nuka Cola

Sanded. Shellac and 1 coat acrylic

7 Likes

yes. the letter pockets are going to be white. This is going to get some steel wool and a second coat. Happy with how the shellac was able to seal up the pores in the MDF.

I’m going to laser-cut some balsa wood for the hands. The brass hands that came with the clock would clash terribly.

Looking forward to some photos.

1 Like

My daughter digs this project.

Is that bottlecap the one from the vectric clipart?

Edit: oops the whole thread didn’t load on my phone. I see the post of someone talking about it.

@PhilJohnson @JeremySimmons , Dont mean to thread jack, but I haven’t done a 3D carve yet, and I’d like to do this bottle cap, could you explain how to go about it? what bits should I use? how should I measure the center of the circle? etc

Aspire

Watch the aspire product tutorials…

3D roughing pass with a 1/4 or 1/8 flat end mill

3D finish pass with 1/8 ball nose or smaller tapered end mill

jig to find circle centers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CD1T0A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Sorry didn’t mean to come off as such a noob lol. I have watched probably 20 videos, slowly getting through them.

Just wanted to make this for a work function (Pepsi) and haven’t grasped enough from the videos yet.

I’ll go back to watching videos though, thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

nothing wrong with being new to something.

Training Material > Aspire > View By Category

Look for 3D Toolpaths fairly far down the page

Specifically these tutorials:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys! Very much appreciated :smiley:

1 Like

So I finally got time to go ahead and give this a try, however my depth on the roughing doesn’t seem to go deep enough, and my finishing pass is starting a little too deep. Could this be due to machine allowances in tool-paths and Gap above model? probably answering my own questions here lol

what are the settings for the 3d roughing toolpath?

What are the green and red measurements?

1 Like

Yes, it measures to 1.00 exactly

1 Like