(Old) Lead Screw Upgrade Kit (OLD THREAD)

This is looks like the Cyberdine T-2000 model of X-Carve who came back from the future to carve a Terminator to kill Sarah Conner.

Looks lean and mean!!

2 Likes

Thatā€™d be great! Thank you.

I would like one too for 1000mm 2016 model x-carve

1 Like

I would love to get the upgrade. However due to unemployment and my inability to get the Xcarve to pay for itself (its not the x-carve but rather my lack of marketing skills) I cannot afford it. I am also moving but that is not why I am posting.
I wanted to share with those who are getting this upgrade to consider these motors. They are not cheap but are perfect for those wanting to upgrade to a more powerful motor. These are not Steppers but are way better. Watch their videos and see for yourself. Of course I am not suggesting you buy any but as an alternative to slow steppers these just may work better.

This link shows the SD series which is what you want for the Stepper functionality.

Here is a video where they show it hooking up to an arduino.

These should work with Easel and be a virtual replacement for the current stepper motors. They are high torque and very sturdy.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a spooky coincidence. I ordered minifit jr & sabre connectors to build cables for these less than 30mins ago.

I have already switched to single Y transmission to be able to run autotuning when I receive them.

2 Likes

These look cool and would like to see if anyone else is successful in getting these to work on an XC.

I feel bad for all you guys waiting. Iā€™m loving my lead screw kit :smiley:

1 Like

All kinds of stuff, theres a lot of custom stuff I didnā€™t even take pictures of because I had so many orders lol Sold a bunch of the cutouts to one of the paint and wine places. feelsgoodman.

2 Likes

wow that is more than what I did in the past 8 months.
I should take lessons from you on how to get orders and start carving away on them.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you have any consignment shops around, thatā€™d be a great place to start!

They could work on an X-Carve but not out of the box. I can think of at least two areas youā€™d have to address via its software:

• X-Carveā€™s (light) weight and (relatively low) rigidity. Youā€™d have to set torque limits to avoid breaking belts and V-wheels. With leadscrews you have better chances.
  • Thereā€™s a great autotuning feature that takes care of all motor parameters. This plays well with one motor per axis. Having two motors on Y complicate this. Youā€™d have to get creative to work around this and probably still have to guess some parameters.

I donā€™t really know much about this, iā€™ve just got a X controller and it mentions about microstepping. What settings are people using with the Screwdrive and the X controller?

Iā€™ve still not started on my build, just got the new plates painted and bought new fixings to put it all together with. Iā€™m planning to try and document the build and do a new thread showing the process.

Thanks.

1 Like

@Phantomm - If this goes well, would you consider doing another group buy or similar setup down the road? I just ordered my first X-Carve on Black Friday and donā€™t even have the X-Controller yet, but Iā€™d be willing to bet Iā€™m going to want to upgrade to lead screws at some point in the future, and having a pre-assembled kit option is definitely appealing.

1 Like

Casey, where in SC are you from? Iā€™m in Columbia (Blythewood). Lovin your Tiger/Gamecock stuff. Never thought about consignment shopsā€¦Iā€™m trying to get up enough courage to hit the flea markets in W. Columbia.

1 Like

Iā€™m over towards Summerville. Are yaā€™ll getting any snow up there? Itā€™s coming down hard here for the first time in 8 years. My brother and sister both went to USC in Columbia. I never liked it that much lol.

1 Like

I would consider it of course. But the amount of work involved coordinating everything between customers and suppliers is tremendous. Iā€™m looking into a web based system. But Iā€™m not sure if it will do what I need. Iā€™m still sort of in discussions with said Dev.

Once my legal issues around everything is cleared up I plan on getting all my orders sent out.

I really liked the Denmark sign. Nice color combinations.

1 Like

Iā€™m up in Greenville. Love the Gamecockā€¦not so much the tiger :grin:

1 Like

iā€™ve started a build thread for my conversion so far

2 Likes

Can you explain how you did this? Itā€™s something Iā€™ve thought about but not sure how to make it work with an X-Carve.