OT - Looking for source for very fine multi conductor wire

OK, so, nothing to do with lasers, or routers, but there’s a lot of handy people on this forum, so…

I’m looking for a source, preferably on the internet with reasonable shipping to the US for a small amount (say 4 or 5 feet) of 6 conductor, really fine wire. The outside diameter of jacket must be less than 1.5mm (less than 0.06 inches), we’re talking really tiny wire here.
Trying to repair something, and the wire has to fit in a channel and so it can’t be very big.
I didn’t think this would be that hard to find, but I’ve done a lot of googling and haven’t come up with anything yet.

Thanks,
Kelly

Have you checked radio shack?

Yep, and Amazon, DigiKey, DeepSurplus.com, and a few others.

-Kelly

This should do. I use this for servos, interconnects, etc. The colors are helpful for long runs. The ribbon tears apart easily to yield 6 lead ribbon. I can strip this easily with a fingernail - but it takes some practice. The appropriate wire stripper would be better.

https://www.amazon.com/Ribbon-Cable-10-wire-15ft/dp/B007R9SQQM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473791560&sr=8-4&keywords=ribbon+wire#Ask

Thanks, I should have been more specific, I need a round cable, the diameter of which needs to be 1.5mm or less, with 6 conductors.

Here’s a picture:

Thanks,
Kelly

Ultrathin Cat6 cable can get you to 2.8mm. Easy to strip and separate:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Ethernet-Contact-Network-Gigabit/dp/B01CZUS20W/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1473793106&sr=8-44&keywords=ultra+thin+network+wire

Other wise, depending on the length, you could use IDE hard drive ribbon cable, separate leads, and roll it. But I am betting that you can get the ultrathin cat 6 to work by stripping the outer insulation from the areas where you are navigating tight parts.

Interesting idea, I’ll give it a try, thanks, not sure how it will work, since most of it needs to go into this very tiny channel.

I hate this tiny stuff, it’s bad enough that it’s hard to work with, but it shouldn’t be this hard to find also!

-Kelly

I wonder if you could also try to find ultrathin USB cable. 5 conductor plus the shield - might work. good luck.

If all else fails, and your voltage is low, you could use magnet wire which is insulated with a shellac type of material and that type of wire is very thin. You wouldn’t have a jacket around it, but you could even improvise that if necessary.

OK, I ordered some magnet wire and the ultra thin ethernet cable, we’ll see if either works out.

other suggestions welcome as well!

Thanks,
Kelly

my fix for something similar was to strip the coated wire from cheap headphones mark the end of each one with nail polish of different colors so i knew what was what then twist them all up then streatch it out and paint with some rubberized paint to make a 6 conductor micro cable cost me abound 8 bucks for 36 inches most of the cost was the rubberized paint the head sets were .99 cents each an the dollar store.

Really good idea, @ShaneBell! I thought about pilfering some old headphones I had lying around, but I knew they didn’t have any 6 conductor runs, so I didn’t bother.

Thanks,
-Kelly

1 Like