Ouch! This one didn't go so well

All in less than 7 minutes…

There was about 10 minutes left in the roughing carve when I left the shop. It should have just finished up carving the outside edges.

When I came back bit was broken and it had the huge gouge in the middle of the project and it was running around the outside edge as it was when I left the shop although minus the bit.

It appears the line down the center plunged deep into the project and bit broke.

I don’t see anything in the tool paths that showed this but it is pretty hard to tell with so many lines.

1 Like

Hi @DebbieLee could you PM the project URL to me please? I will take a look at the toolpaths with our engineers.

Thanks,
Ben

2 Likes

Hey Ben,

I sent it yesterday but I don’t see any messages to or from you in my history.

Did you receive it?

Thanks!

1 Like

If it’s the skull and snake project, then yes, we’re looking into that problem. It’s definitely a toolpath generation issue since the entire bottom layer is incorrectly being carved out.

Thanks for the report.

2 Likes

Thanks for the follow up, just wasn’t sure my message was received. Will wait or hear back before trying any more.

1 Like

Hi @DebbieLee,

We’re still working on a proper fix for the problem in this thread but I realized there’s a simple workaround that you may want to try in the interim. When doing a relief carve with the rectangle boundary, set the boundary padding values to be at least the size of the roughing bit width + finishing bit width. IIRC, your project used a 1/4" roughing bit and 1/8" detail bit the padding would need to be at least 3/8" on all sides of the relief. That should ensure proper toolpath generation until we can better handle cases where the relief bounds are closer to the model.

Thanks,
Neil

1 Like

Thanks @neilpa ,

I didn’t want to try anything else until I heard back, can’t afford to be breaking bits.

Will give it another shot now that there is a work around.

Enjoy your day!