Paris France Eiffel Tower multi-layered sign

The tower is gorgeous, Phil. What are the dimensions, if you don’t mind my asking?

Well, you could. If you are really worried about the letters staying on you could use some small screws from behind the backer board to hold the letters in place (along with your favorite glue).

1 Like

Would this work?

Carve a small channel in the backer board at the middle position of each letter following the profile of the letter. Fill the channel with wood glue just to the point where the surface tension causes a slight bead above the backer board. Then clamp each letter down.

That way you shouldn’t have enough glue to spread from under the letter, but could be enough to hold them.

1 Like

It’s a nice piece. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product.

1 Like

Hey, Phil.

I had another idea. Since the letters are so thin, next time you do one like this you could glue the mahogany to the backer board and then just carve the letters through to the backer board.

Jimmy Diresta uses super glue all the time with lettering on his signs. He has many methods he uses, but super glue is in his arsenal!

1 Like

I have been using super glue on my boxes with excellent results. Mostly Gorilla grand, both gel and liquid. (I have noticed that the Gorilla brand seems to be slower to set up when it is applied thick.)

I saw someone using it on a YouTube woodworking video. They were using it mixed with sawdust like wood putty. A trick I have used with good result.

I have used it to glue in the magnets for my box lids and have not had one fail yet.
I think the super glue works even better on wood that it does on other materials. Probably because it is porous, so the glue can soak in and get a really good grip.

I like it because it sets up so fast. So I don’t have to let a piece set up over night. :wink:

1 Like

I would like to hear more about the technique you used to create the letters with the solid passing through them at different depths.

Thanks Phil. It looks great

1 Like

That is pretty awesome!!

That is truly beautiful, Phil. You are a real artist!

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Outstanding!

1 Like

that really is beautiful Phil. You may not realise it but I bet you’re inspiring a whole lot of people on here to push their own creativeness and cnc boundaries. Keep it up.

1 Like

I think i already said this but …That is Awesome!

1 Like

I see Paris!..I see France!..something something Underpants. That’s all I got.

1 Like