Paused Easel, but carve ended...?

I’m still learning my XCARVE… but I’m working on a very long carve and I wanted to sleeeep after 4+ hours. So I read in the forums that you can pause, as long as you leave your laptop on, controller on, etc (and don’t let it sleep). After being reassured from reading several posts, I hit pause on Easel and turned off the spindle. When I turned around, Easel is asking me HOW’D IT TURN OUT? Now that your carve is finished…

I’m too tired to even stress it at this moment and time, but in the morning, I’m going to want to figure this out and fix any future problem with it. I CERTAINLY don’t want to ‘carve air’ for 5 hours tomorrow just to get back to where I was… :frowning:

Other house appliances and room lighting can cause RF-spikes that cause USB connection to drop.
My fluorescent ceiling lights in my shop will cause an immediate USB-disconnect if I flip it OFF or ON.

Did you perform a Homing Cycle prior to start carving? (I hope you did)

You can export the gcode of that project, delete content in that file to remove “air time”, but you may need to make sure you handle Z properly in code vs Z zero point. I dont have experience here, others may shed light on that issue.

I did perform homing cycle before starting… What I’m struggling with now is how to identify where exactly I would need to cut my G Code to approximate my last position. I figured that if I could find where I was (which I can see it in simulation…) then I could just have the print “start” just before that, so it would be a smooth transition back to my current progress. The problem is, I can’t find where I am in the code simply based on that. The simulation provides x and y coordinates, but that doesn’t seem to help me.

I understand that, but you dont need to find the exact spot, just getting rid of most of the “air code”
If you haven’t moved your machine since it stopped, you can reset is and then perform a new homing cycle.
The work coordinates will now show you their position so you can identify the point where it stopped. This can provide a clue to where you should start your new code.

@GalenStevenson
It might help if you use a simulator, like this one, to estimate where you were. Back up a liitle in the code to a previous retraction and go from there. You’ll need to preserve your headers and make sure you capture any modal states. Basically, the stuff at the beginning of the file. There are a lot of things that can go wrong, but several of us hand edit code for the same reason, among others.

I gave up and restarted the carve without the spindle on… when it was within a pass of where it left off I turned it back on “live”… the next problem I had was that the G-Code I created thru Fusion didn’t stop to do the tool changes so it basically ruined it on the finishing pass. LOL. So many rookie mistakes. Oh well. Haha