Inventables Community Forum

Paw paw's projects

Testing the laser on a dowel rod. With this test I know I can engrave pen blanks and personalize Christmas gifts. WOW! What a tool! J Tech Photonics Laser and Lightburn Software on the XCarve is a great combination

4 Likes

Great vid Phillip!! You have me contemplating another upgrade!

Broken bit and ashes on a painted surface. Surprise surprise! I did not expect this

3 Likes

Had the same problem with the same bit Phil and broke 2 of them. I thought maybe there was a problem in making them.

You may be right. I never expected a break like this.

I quite using that bit after 2 of them broke. They were both broke up in the collet just like yours.

Thank you, I do not plan on replacing this bit. Have you ever had the ash remain on a painted engraved surface?

Yes it happens all the time. You have to be pretty careful or it will smear all over the finished project. Ussually a damp rag will wipe it up.

Thank you. This was a first for me. I did not want to wipe it off because I wanted the heavy black image to remain. It took two coats to completely seal it.

1 Like

A Veterans Day thank you

5 Likes

Happy Veterans Day and Thank You for your service Phillip.
Phillip I have some fonts that work great for laser engraving, I can send them to you if you don’t have them They also work good on the XCarve. Let me know

3 Likes

@RussellCrawford Awesome! That would be great if you could send them to me. Thank you very much.

1 Like

More learning with the laser. I wanted to see if I can cut through 3mm plywood with the laser. Also, did a simple indexing layout to do a small production run. I having a great time with the laser and the XCarve. It is so easy to switch from one program to another (Lightburn to Easel)

4 Likes

Phi the laser is in my future to purchase, thanks for doing the videos! , next up for me n the very near future is a drum sander and planer.

3 Likes

Great Video. I’d like to suggest the possible use of a 1/4" downcut bit. It would be long enough and would give you a very clean cutout. Since you have plenty of waste material around the cutout, I think you would have no problems using the larger bit and you would get the benefit of a downcut shearing action.

Also another idea for hold down is to use a thicker waste board and in the safe areas of the project waste, actually use 1-1/4 bugle head screws to hold it down. That would alleviate the warp concern in the center of the piece and would also hold it down flush. I use this method whenever I can.

regards.
Dave

1 Like

Phil, great information first off. I enjoy reading your posts and looking at your videos. I just bought a J-Tech and was wondering if you would be willing to add your Easel laser sign to the project folder.

Thanks again for your time and effort in helping others.

Dave

1 Like

@DavidRToletti. Yes, I would be happy to do it for you

1 Like

With my J Tech Photonics laser I engraved a name on a round pen blank. Complete success. Here is a video. Start at 6:00 for that process.

2 Likes

@DavidYerkes I have uploaded the Laser sign into the Inventables project. I hope you enjoy it.

Nice video Phil keep up the good work.

1 Like