Paw paw's projects

Staining wood black can be very challenging. Here is a quick video that solves the problem.

4 Likes

Watched it last night, good video as usual!

1 Like

Great video. Thanks Paw Paw!!

1 Like

I restore antique furniture for a living and if I need to apply stain to pine I’d apply a couple coats of shellac rubbed back with fine wire wool or some sanding sealer.
Depending on what type of stain you are using (I use spirit stain, made from meths) I wouldn’t go too high with the sanding grade or it won’t soak in and you can spend your time redoing it. I wouldn’t go higher than 180 or 240 grit.
Just a few thoughts, keep on with the videos :+1:

1 Like
4 Likes
13 Likes

Another great video. This is a fantastic gift. And, congratulations to your son on his achievement.

1 Like

Very well done and helpful, Phil! You are a marvel.

I would ask that you carve that same text with Easel Pro and 60 degree v bit at full depth, then show us side by side comparison?

Well done Phil! Couple of tips: SOAK that poplar with a heavy coat of sanding sealer after you surface plane it. You can lightly sand it and THEN carve. It will reduce your fuzzies considerably. Then, after you carve and clean up your fuzzies, soak it again in sanding sealer before painting. The sealer dries SUPER fast so it shouldn’t add too much time to your process.

You can also apply three or more coats of matte clear coat prior to painting your black. LIghtly sand the last coat and then your black paint will wipe off like you are cleaning a spill from tile. I do a lot of fine engraving in oak - which has ridiculous grain and this is s life-saver.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

@Earwigger. Thank you very much. I will give this a try.

@Earwigger do you spray or brush on those three coats of of matte clear?

Spray because it dries faster. I use rustoleum painters touch ultra cover matte (because it has the longest name - but it also it dries fast if you use several light coats).

2 Likes

Thanks. I think you have an excellent method

Enjoyed your video and appreciate the suggested project. When I have a project that will be v cared and then cut out I do the v-carve first and then the clearance pass (with the small end mill) and then as the final step I do the cut out. This saves me a bit change since I can use the small bits for the cut out.
Also I find that the letters that end up being raised chip out less if the v care is done first.
Again nice projects and thanks for the inspiration.

I’ll try that next time thanks

where did you get the design for the sled. i have tried to make it but cant get the angles right for the arms to pivot. Im new to cnc so im still doing baby steps

Have not bought a x carve yet but looking into it how hard is it cut material in more than one cut as in your watch us grow project?

@ScottBurns1. It’s not hard at all. It just takes a little planning. My video on the pledge flag was tiled also

2 Likes

Multiple carves all at once. Production run at its best.