Paw paw's projects

Carving PVC at multiple levels and tooooo deep for an experiment https://youtu.be/RcijAaYfUSw

Moved my xcarve and added new electrical just for the the xcarve

3 Likes

I need a table like that, although don’t need the wheels. Anyone have any ideas on where to find such a thing?

A half sheet of 3/4” plywood across two sawhorses was fine for assembling the machine, but it shakes too much when cutting…

@MikeTrent. I built this table for the xcarve. All of my tables are on wheels now and set to the height of my table saw. That way I can use them as outfeed tables if necessary

3 Likes

Locking casters make for a happy and versatile workshop. Everything we build gets the wheel treatment, too. We’ve rearranged our 'shop so many times, and every single time, we congratulate ourselves for putting wheels on our tables and cabinets.

1 Like

Yet another great video!

1 Like

Do they wobble at all?
I copied a mobile work bench design off here (called a Paulk work bench apparently), and put on some good locking casters.
I reinforced it with diagonal braces but whenever I jogged the router it would wobble. Couldn’t take the risk of it reuining a carve so I took them off and screwed the whole thing to the wall.
Rigidity overrules anytime I’ll need to have it mobile.

1 Like

@AdamBeech. There is very little movement and I do not lock the wheels

No wobble for us, but our XCarve table is rather weighty. It’s a 1200x1200mmx176mm** torsion box made of 19mm MDF and plywood, on top of 72mm square post legs with cross-bracing. A little jogging of the spindle isn’t going to affect it.

** We made it this thick so we could have a hole with a vertical face for clamping taller objects that we might want to carve. We’ve only used the hole once, but it was one of those things we were happy to have when we needed it.

@KimberlyFranzen. That sound like an amazing table. I like the idea of a hole in it. That opens up a lot of possibilities

The idea of a way to do vertical clamping was one of the things we came across here in the forums before we bought our XCarve, and when we were planning our table, I suggested we go for it. My husband was happy to do it so long as I drew up the plans for it. We did have to alter the arrangement of the 20x20 extrusion to account for the hole (which spans the front of our carve area).

This is the table (we’re still building out our shop, so please don’t judge the dustiness, or the unfinished cabinet carcass that is currently my computer table!):

We have another bit of wasteboard that covers the hole, but we just leave it open most of the time because it’s not hard to reach behind the hole to set up jobs, and we have more than enough space for most of our projects without needing to cover the hole.

@KimberlyFranzen. I like the setup and don’t worry about the shop. It’s always a work in progress. I’m constantly changing things

Yes, we are, too… which is why I love the wheels! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Although I do think my new home for my xcarve is going to stay for quite sometime. Much better than the old location

Hi Phillip,

Would you mind discussing your method for painting the signs from Feb 2017, Mar 2017, Jun 2017 and the Ezri sign from July 2017? These are really great! Did you use the sealer/paint/sealer/paint kind of method so you can wipe off excess or did you use a masking of some sort? Thanks!

Ben

Maybe my casters weren’t sturdy enough.

Another attempt to explain x,y,0 work home position and the ability to place it wherever you wish https://youtu.be/hjhjowXbFqM

2 Likes

Can you share the project file for this? This is exactly what I was trying to design this morning

Are you looking for the scout oath for the flag? Or you looking for the union with the scout logo or both?

Looks like he is asking about your bit tray @PhillipLunsford