Phil's 2.8w Jtech Laser Journey

Donald those are awesome. Please post more of your projects the successful and failures both help and encourage other members. Your use of the search function is great and it’s a valuable under used tool of the forum. Again don’t let your time with the machine discourage you from posting as your skills are evident in the posted projects.

2 Likes

Holy cow!! It took me 7 days to read through this thread. If only there was a web site that had the meat posted to it to read through.

1 Like

Yes sir I did. Lol. Just my bad attempt at being funny.

Phil, I’m having a problem with black dots. For example, when I laser a box there are dark dots at each corner. How do I fix that? Thanks

Thanks

I’ve already seen dots too when I tried 140 ipm

I’m using that grbl version. It just seemed to me that I got a dot at the beginning of a line where the laser hits the wood first and then can’t keep up with the speed.

Are you running in laser mode ($30=255, $31=0, $32=1)? My version of grbl can run at 199.9 ipm without any dwell.

Try these settings adjusted for your machine(homing, soft limits, X,Y and Z steps/mm etc).

$0=30 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=18 (status report mask:00010010)
$11=0.005 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=1 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=1 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$30=255. (rpm max)
$31=0. (rpm min)
$32=1 (laser mode, bool)
$100=40.000 (x, step/mm)
$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.947 (z, step/mm)
$110=7650.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=7650.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=2540.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=8000.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=8000.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=150.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=290.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=290.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=90.000 (z max travel, mm)

1 Like

I had a little time and I changed the following settings to match the ones you posted.
$11, $110-$112, $120-$122 but these were too much, the axis were just jumping around. Lowered the settings back down. At least you gave me an idea with what I can play with next when I have a bit more time again

@CarstenDegenhardt

Moved topic to a new thread.

1 Like

Just curious(since by now you have probably done a lot more laser work) if you have discovered you need to alter any of your settings on how your tool is setup in VCarve for the J-Tech Laser, and/or if you have adjusted any of the settings with how the Quick Engrave is done? I’m basing the question on what you currently have posted as the laser settings on your site, which I think you posted fairly early in the “journey” :smile:
I do very little photo type stuff, mostly just burns from things I do in VCarve.

So I guess that is cross hatch with 45deg?
Depending on the image I am doing, I may go outline or cross hatch, more often it seems outline. When I have done cross-hatch and there is a far amount of detail work the machine is making so many rapid movements it seems like it’ll vibrate apart! :smile: And I’m usually only running at about 60ipm, With that shaking going on I’m afraid to go much faster,if doing cross hatch, because I figure I’ll end up with squiggly lines from the vibration. Although with your enhanced machine it’s probably not a problem for you.

What program do you use to send your G-code?

Post your grbl settings here.

I use UGS to send the gcode.
Here is a screenshot of settings, (its a month or so old, I’m at work and this is the only pic I have access to right now) this is before adjusting for the laser settings with the $32 in there - I currently have your version of installed on the XController - but I have not modified any speed settings from what is in this screen shot.

That’s an old version of the settings (standard 1.0c). I’ll take another look once you can post your current settings.

Cut out with the laser?

Like I mentioned in my post to Larry, I do have his version of GRBL for the Laser loaded on my Xcontroller - I just don’t have a more current pic of my settings with me here at work.

1 Like

Ok. I should be able to post the current settings by around 5pm EST

1 Like

What Bryan describes sounds like what I mentioned 1 week ago when you started the new thread. I was trying detailed outlines at 140ipm. Unfortunately I didn’t have time for the x-carve since the 3d printer arrived. Will see if I can get a video this weekend I hope

@BryanRussell @CarstenDegenhardt

Ok, I can work with both of you, but let’s do it in the other thread.

1 Like