Phil's 2.8w Jtech Laser Journey

Couldn’t you set up an air assist to do the same?

If I exhausted the shop vac I use for my x-carve dust collection outside would there be any reason not to use it as a fume extractor with the laser?

What brand is that ? Glowforge?

1 Like

Nice. Did not take you long to get it.

1 Like

They have really made progress on shipping since they came out. Good luck i might have one some day.

Pricey but look fun!

Congrats on joining the ranks of CO2 laser owners. Be careful. It can be more addictive than any of the other toys you might have!

1 Like

Received my Glowforge last December. Had to return it once due to a broken laser tube. Other than that, it really couldn’t get any easier. I would recommend heading over to the community forum for some light reading :slight_smile: Have fun!

1 Like

What did it cost you? And what’s are the benefits?

I think they’re between $2,500 and $4,000k or so depending on which model you pick up. C02 lasers are the real deal, much more powerful and can cut aluminum (through anodizing), etc., at much faster speeds. I’m curious how these new all in one machines perform. I built a 150W C02 laser to cut steel a few years ago, before there were any options like this.

1 Like

Try closer to $8k for a useful setup. I went to check.

“useful setup,” very subjective, wouldn’t you say?

Isn’t everything? However I was specifically talking about useful for me obviously :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Of course. I remember their crowdfunding campaign, those were the numbers they were touting to get people on board. I think it’s a pretty good deal, you just hand them your money and you’re done. Building a CO2 laser is a very hair raising experience. The tubes cost a fortune and are very fragile.

Yeah. One of my consulting clients had a huge laser cutter brought into his basement via making a huge hole in his floor, because his popped in the winter in his garage. Not well planned or well though out. :tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

@PhilJohnson maybe it’s time to change the name of your journey? :thinking:
My journey to the glow forge via a 2.8w Jtech… and the perilous path of glowing roads taken. Or something like that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What were your settings to get the complete cut? (understanding you did multiple passes)

What material was this?