Phil's 2.8w Jtech Laser Journey

If it would help I can post some before and after images that Jeff from PicEngrave edited for me a while back. Seeing the original and the edited one that is run on the laser done by someone who knows what they are doing was a big help for me in learning what a good image to run looks like.

3 Likes

Halftoner will output DXF or PNG (you click the DXF output tab and just enter a filename with the PNG extension and it figures it out). No SVG, though that wouldn’t be hard either.

Most laser software will internally do dithering. In LightBurn whatever you specify as your output DPI is what I resample / dither to if you’re doing dithered output.

1 Like

Dithering tends to be easier to deal with - I had good results with dithering in LightBurn very quickly, because as long as you get the dot size and overlap compensation close, the shading is just dark / not dark, and you’re not dealing with curves. Grayscale took considerably longer to dial in.

I’ve written a lot of image resampling and compression code, as well as video compression and playback codecs for video games, so I’m reasonably familiar with color profiles & spaces, and remapping. So far all my tuning has been “by eye” as you say, but it helps to know what your own internal biases tend to be.

2 Likes

Can’t tell from the photo, but is the bottom closed with filter material with a hole for the laser beam?

Either way you could have a safety issue with reflections using that as your only protection.

Here is another tip.

If your focus is correct and you still have an ellipse instead of a circle, you can rotate the laser to align the major axis of the ellipse in either 45 D left or 45 D R and then use that as your engraving mode.

Once done this will have the effect of making the dot size equal when moving vertical or horizontal and when using the 45 D mode you aligned to, will give the thinnest line.

2 Likes

Not really. It’s just that the minor axis is the smallest distance of an ellipse.

Think of it like a football. If you look directly into the end of it you see the smallest width. If you rotate the ball then looking at the end of it shows an increase in the width. Only when you look directly down the major axis do you see the thinnest outline.

1 Like

Thats what I was trying to say here but didn’t explain it well.

Larry did a better job. Let me see if I can elaborate on it in case anyone else reading this thread is having trouble.
When focused correctly the stock lens that comes with the JTech produces an oval shaped beam, not a circle. So if you are engraving on the 45 in PEP and the oval isnt set on the same 45, even though the beam is focused correctly, you won’t get the thinnest line possible. You can loosen the set screw on the heat sink block and turn the entire diode so that the oval is oriented on the same plane.

3 Likes

Looks like the grain in the wood if you zoom way in. Do you sand your piece before engraving? Sometimes the slightly raised grain on a piece of milled lumber is just a tiny bit harder from the planer knife. A quick rub with some sandpaper before burning can help with that. That would be the first thing I would check.

2 Likes

Oh ok I see what you mean now. I thought you were talking about the white spots in the greyscale squares.

My bad. Now I see what you are looking at. Do they stay vertical all the time or do they switch to 45 or horizontal when you change the engraving angle?

It must be in how the test pattern is drawn. If it were a resolution issue the lines would always be going the same direction as you are engraving.

I had the little wavy vertical lines when I had a mechanical issue with one of my belts having a frayed spot. I replaced the belt and the lines went away. I would look for a mechanical reason for the artifact.

It is NOT the test pattern.

Maybe not. I assumed based on his comments of only sending tests via pictures from now on that Phil wasn’t sending the actual test as an image with the gcode built by PEP. I was speculating that the gcode was created in another program with a dxf or svg and the way it was created was causing the issue. If it was put in PEP and the gcode created in there then you are right and it most likely isn’t the test. What are your thoughts @JohnChamplain ?

Rick,
We are working with Phil privately on this issue. I made the test pattern and PEP generated the code. It is a test I have long used, so I know the test image and gcode are not an issue.

The horizontal and vertical lines in the test pattern are solid black and only one pixel wide. Image attached. If downloaded, be sure to save it as a .bmp file so .jpg compression artifacts will not corrupt the pure shades.
John
60 shades

2 Likes

@JohnChamplain Thats fine. I was just curious to the issue. I didn’t know who made the image or how it was made or how it was sent. I just made a guess based on what we ruled out earlier and the fact that it doesn’t happen with the photo of the child. I’m not knocking the software, the laser, or anyone in any way. Most people know I am one of the most vocal supporters of PEP, PicSender and JTech. I love all three. Just trying to pay forward all the help that was given to me. No reason to get defensive.

2 Likes

I wanted to but my machine is currently down for upgrades (CNC Demon) :grin: I hope to get it back up this weekend.

2 Likes

My apology. Did not mean to sound defensive or insulting in any way. Poor choice of words.

1 Like

No problem :grinning: Sorry I took it that way. Its one of those days. We’re all good.

1 Like

Amen. :smile:

Moisture content and distribution would also play a part.

1 Like