Phil's help documents and Tutorials

…and can’t use that one. (Stock Z)

(But keep them coming anyway - I got paid today!)

Uh oh Phil, I think you’ve been identified as a protestor and are under careful review from now on. :frowning:

i haven’t try vcarve yet so, do you change bit in between carving ?
may you show video of a simple vcarve diy?

I’m in the process of switching from Easel to UGS. I’m using the easel post processor from Vcarve right now. When I start using UGS, is this the PP to use with an X-controller (vs the generic GBRL PP) What exactly does this PP do to the GCode? Thanks for the help.

I’m confused, I thought I use a post processor in Vcarve not in UGS. What post processor should I use within Vcarve when saving toolpaths? Should I use the XCarve one listed here? VCarve Pro – Inventables, Inc.
Or the one you uploaded on this post?

I wasn’t tracking needing another PP within UGS itself. Did you mean “for” instead of “in”?

Dang Phil… People are going to think your are generous with your information. Great videos.

1 Like

Anybody is allowed to gather knowledge and make an even better video… :wink:
Some people request the world to change to their needs… cant fix that. A puppy wont help ether :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the videos and enduring the haters. They need to follow my grandmother’s sage advice: “If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.” I don’t think she ever followed that advice, but it’s served me well.

1 Like

You should organize this all in a pdf. Maybe inventables will include it with new machines and give you a kickback. I read a lot of your posts before my first carve and I think it has saved me quite a few expensive lessons.

2 Likes

Of course none of your amazing bits for vcarving are available on amazon.ca :frowning: I’ll have to try ebay

1 Like

is this a good one?

1 Like

If I have a jpeg of a drawing I did, can that be imported to inkscape to trace bitmap? If so, how?

1 Like

RE: your bit size adjustment calculator; just need some clarification on how to use.

1 - select the cutout, inside or outside (labeled ‘CUTOUTS’ in the spreadsheet)
2 - enter the desired diameter/height/width of cutout (labeled ‘Drawn Diameter’ in the spreadsheet)
3 - enter the measured(as measured by you with calipers) the diameter of the bit (labeled ‘Listed Diameter’ in the spreadsheet)
4 - enter the actual measurement of a test carve piece using this bit (labeled ‘True Diameter’ in the spreadsheet)
5 - Receive ‘New Bit Diameter’ data.

It’s this new bit diameter you would then use as your bit diameter in your CAM program…Easel, vCarve, etc.

Is this all correct?

Considering the time and effort it takes to make tutorials and guides, I’d like to just say “Thanks, Phil”.

5 Likes

If your ever board and want to do a step by step on importing a stl into fusion 360, and going thru the process to get a good gcode I would definitely look at it over and over. There are a few on the forums but it seems fusion has been updated and doesnt follow exactly. I don’t want one misunderstood part on my end ruining everything.

Just v carve now? how long would this fairly simple stl take to set up in both as a reference?

@PhilJohnson Is there a way to have just your posts so up in this topic? I know I read somewhere you wrote the min you can carve and still get some paint in but can’t find it.

@PhilJohnson I have the TB6600 drivers set up and working but when I try to home the X axis travels a short distance then stops. it acts like the limit switch was triggered. (Going to check the wiring)
The strange thing is I can run the system using UGS and easel ok but when I try to set up the machine so I can enable the z probe for Easel it will not work at all. nothing will move on the move axis screen and the zprobe does not show contact. I can get the probe to work in UGS however.
UGS is giving me crap. I cannot use it without it throwing an error after a run change the bit then try to load a new file to re zero the Z axis. :confused:
I wish there were a way to make this stuff work without spending hours and hours trying to figure out what is wrong.

Links not working. Im not sure if it was that post or just a random comment you made somewhere with a suggested minimum depth to paint.

I have this set up already.
I have checked the wiring and even rewired it.
UGH this sucks I cannot get UGS to work without resetting it every time!
I keep getting an error after loading a .nc file from Vcarve then I try to zero it again with my files from the tool that Charlie made and it gives this For input string “-”
:frowning: