Phil's linear rail Z axis upgrade

Why do you think that?

I sent them copies of the DeWalt mounting from Grab Cad and sent them to them. I also told them to change the bolt patterns some and they did a great job. If you’re going for the De Walt mount maybe they still have a my copy on record.

agree with @PhilJohnson - I just used two long pieces of black HDPE that run front to back down both Y axis, they reach the top of the Y axis rails but don’t cover the belt. Covering the belt won’t add much more value, with those two covers down the sides I barely ever clean off my belts as it’s not needed…

I used 3 pieces of 3/8" baltic birch I had on hand; 2 down the sides and 1 across the back. Just enough to keep the chips out of the sides/belts and from being thrown out the back and down the wall behind my bench.

Mine go up to within 1/8" of the X-Axis.

1 Like

I just realized that the new X Carve comes with pressed on pulleys. That means I will not be able to use the supplied NEMA 23 motor with the new linear Z axis I just ordered. That being said, I will need a recommendation for the best place to order a NEMA 23 motor with a flat side (to attach the coupler) with specifics as to torque, wiring, steps per revolution, etc., or whether or not the pressed on pulley can be removed,

Try this one.

http://us.stepperonline.com/nema-23-cnc-stepper-motor-28a-19nm269ozin-23hs302804s-p-25.html

A tool like this should take care of that. To assist further heat the pinion as this will expand the pinion relative to the cooler shaft.

http://www.thinkrc.com/images/products/tools/pinion_puller.jpg

Is that a tiny little gear puller?

Hilarious, I do the EXACT same thing with my 123 blocks when using my laser. ha!

2 Likes

That was the one I was looking at when @PhilJohnson mentioned it.

According to the tracking data, my linear Z axis should be here sometime this afternoon! Yay!

2 Likes

My Linear Z from CNC4Newbie finally arrived. It came complete with socket head and set screws, but no instructions on how to mount it for 6 or 7 inches.

I have the 5" to 6" inch model and on mine there are to sets of holes on the bottom of the router mounting plate that are spaced 1" apart. All I had to do is slide the non threaded bracket down so that the space between that and the threaded bracket on the screw were closer together.

Mine does not seem to have that.

Is yours the one that sells for $137 now advertised on their website? if it is it is the same pattern as mine. On the bottom of the front router mounting plate there are 4 scews along the bottom; two on the left, two on the right. Above them are two black screws that mount the plate to the threaded drive rod.Above those two screws are two more matching holes. Unscrew the two black screws and slide the mounting plate down so that the top two holes are matched up to the threaded block (about one inch) and screw it down.

I have that same one, I’m not impressed with the threaded rod or the adapter at the top. It doesn’t move very easily. I have the 5" model I bought several months ago, the rod and action are far better. Sorry I bought the 6"\7" model, not impressed with it.

Not asking, just my personal observation. I like the 5" model from the other seller better. I’ll try to find and post pics and comparisons of the two models tomorrow…

1 Like

Marc Cohen. He E-Mail. me earlier for about his not being able to adjust his router plate.

1 Like

I see that. ManyThanks. I wasn’t sure what to do, but I am now. You see how much someone can learn from this forum and the helpful folks on it. We may not always agree with one another, but we can learn and move on.

1 Like